VP of FP&A
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a member of Toptal’s Senior Leadership Team, you will be a key part of our Finance team focused on developing insightful analysis, models, and recommendations that enable the executive team to make the best strategic and tactical decisions. You will thrive in a fast-paced environment while demonstrating superior detail-orientation and the ability to efficiently manage complex financial analysis, modeling, and related tasks. Your ability to effectively communicate, influence, and collaborate will shine through as you interact with multiple teams and eagerly learn all aspects of the business, which in turn will enable you to succeed in your role.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
You will be responsible for building an analytical framework and models to drive decisions that will optimize the financial performance of the Company, including financing, capital allocation, and ROI. While you will report to the CFO, you will work extensively with our executive team to learn the key drivers to develop meaningful forecasts and analyses in a fully collaborative manner. You will lead the analytics and valuation aspects of our M&A efforts.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal, including rapidly learning about Toptal’s history, culture, vision, and strategy.
- Start to get a deep understanding of all aspects of the financial operations of the Company.
- Start to familiarize yourself with the executive team, the reporting frameworks and cycles, and key analytics.
In the first month you will:
- Meet with all key stakeholders around the company to learn the nature of the business and existing analytics, models, and reports across all segments of the business.
- Do an in-depth review of existing processes, models, and reports. As part of that, you will get fully familiarized with the Company’s performance & growth drivers to-date, as well as current plans and projections.
- Build and recommend a roadmap to “FP&A success.”
- Take ownership of the existing forecasting framework and models.
In the first three months you will:
- Refine and solidify capital allocation/ROI framework and models through discussion and alignment with all key stakeholders. Present recommendations to executive team members.
- Ensure that we have a repeatable and scalable process in place to make capital allocation decisions. Ingrain this process into our ongoing financial and business budgeting, planning, and forecasting processes.
- Support P&L Management and ongoing business performance/KPIs reviews + build, maintain and distribute reports.
- Build financial and valuation models to tackle short- and long-term financing/funding strategy to tackle working capital and growth capital needs.
In the first six months you will:
- Leverage all new frameworks and models to develop a robust multi-year strategic/financial plan.
- Drive execution of new frameworks and build/maintain related reporting, dashboards, etc.
- Provide key support (including modeling) to other Finance initiatives, e.g. Tax Strategy, FX Strategy, etc.
- Become an amazing business partner to various teams in the Company and support with various ad-hoc analytics and modeling needs.
- You have 12+ years of experience, including:
- Building exceptional teams to increase your effectiveness and support the needs of a rapidly growing team.
- Building capital allocation and ROI models & analysis.
- Building financial and valuation models (including market research and comps.), including being highly skilled at modeling and analyzing debt and equity financing, M&A, and other potential transactions/opportunities.
- Building ad-hoc models to support multiple business needs.
- Owning/driving budgeting and forecasting processes.
- Creating performance/operational metrics tracking mechanisms and reporting.
- Working in a cross-functional role touching several areas of the organization.
- You have superior mathematics and analytic skills.
- You are skilled at discussing and presenting information and conclusions in a clear and concise manner to all levels within the organization.
- You have an exceptional eye for detail and are comfortable managing very large amounts of data.
- You are an eager learner.
- You are a critical thinker who is able to think strategically, be the central liaison between sales, finance, development/product, and operations teams, and be able to ‘connect the dots.’
- You possess professional skepticism, including the ability to challenge assumptions, communicate limitations, and flag blind spots.
- You understand how to build from the ground up and will dive in and do whatever is needed.
- You are incredibly professional in your communication, both written and verbal, always. You can efficiently work 1-1 with multiple peers, while still being able to zoom out and succinctly present findings and recommendations to an executive audience and influence decisions.
- Collaboration & team play is core to your working style.
- You have a positive, can-do attitude that you bring to work daily.
- You are resourceful and have a strong ability to navigate an organization to get any information you need and to solve very complex problems, with limited direction and oversight.
- You are comfortable working under pressure and managing your time effectively to adhere to deadlines.
- You take responsibility for the quality of work that you do.
- Experience working 100% remote preferred.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.