VP of Growth Marketing
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company with a strong focus on sustaining a world-class remote work environment for all employees and contractors globally. .
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As the VP of Growth Marketing, you will be responsible for scaling Toptal’s Growth Marketing Team, driving strategy, setting priorities, expanding capability, growing a world-class team, and delivering on ambitious revenue goals. You will grow the company’s $100M+ revenue base by working at the intersection of business, technology, big data, analytics, and marketing. You will have executive accountability for all digital performance marketing channels, including paid search, SEO, paid social media, display advertising, retargeting, affiliate marketing as well as analytics and insights. You will work with Toptal’s executive team to set Toptal’s long-term growth strategies and guide the company’s growth trajectory to new inflection points.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Work with the Executive, Enterprise, SMB, Talent Operations, and other key teams across the company to set and execute the roadmap for Toptal’s short- and long-term growth plans.
- Guide the prioritization of Growth Marketing-related initiatives as the initiatives and teams scale.
- Determine the KPIs and build the dashboards that each functional area of the Growth Marketing Team needs to execute effectively in the context of the larger functional goals.
- Create effective training on growth-related topics such as SEO, SEM, funnel optimization, digital marketing, and other related areas in order to ensure all of the relevant stakeholders are properly educated on how to infuse growth tactics into their content, initiatives, and products with maximum impact.
- Ensure the team is maximizing the impact of all growth experiments by maintaining organized playbooks, automated systems, and dashboards that track the states and thresholds related to each experiment.
- Oversee the interviewing and hiring of new team members as the team continues to scale.
- Facilitate effective brainstorming sessions which contribute to the generation of new ideas that push the boundaries of what’s possible within Growth Marketing.
- Build financial forecasts and projections that relate to the cost and return on investment for experiments, both large and small.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to your team and the organization on the company’s growth strategy.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Slack, Zoom, and other means.
In the first week, expect to:
- Work to get up to speed with how the organization runs, including how our OKRs, RACIs, and other operational frameworks work.
In the first month, expect to:
- Understand the inner workings of the Growth Marketing team and how they work effectively with other teams. You will also be expected to identify many optimizations and opportunities that you see relating to furthering the growth tactics, organizational dynamics, and talent capabilities of the Growth Marketing team.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Have a very strong understanding of how the Marketing function and all related external functions are working together with Growth Marketing.
- Chart a path for ensuring collaboration is strong and work output remains at an extremely high-quality level for all Growth Marketing-related initiatives.
- Garner the trust of your peers and the individuals that you’re most closely working with.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Exemplify the ability to inspire and mentor the teams you’re working with.
- Uplevel the team’s ability to brainstorm, collaborate, and execute materially.
- Introduce several growth-related tactics that are innovative, sustainable, and a direct result of your personal efforts.
- Chart a clear path for scaling the team, as well as the work output that Growth Marketing is able to produce.
In the first year, expect to:
- Scale the team and work output of Growth Marketing significantly.
- Demonstrate the successful implementation and execution of several new growth strategies and tactics.
- Garner the trust of the Executive and Senior Leadership Team in your ability to lead the Growth Marketing function for the long term.
- You must have the ability and willingness to review, with meticulous attention to detail, all of the final work product that your team creates.
- Demonstrated experience growing revenue at scale via performance marketing within a B2B technology or services company.
- You must have a best-in-class, analytical and data-driven background, ideally with a degree in a STEM field or something similar.
- You must be highly motivated by the prospect of scaling a hyper-growth company while leading a team of Engineers, Designers, Data Scientists, and Growth Marketing experts.
- You must be an extremely quick, strategic thinker with exceptional experience leading highly analytical teams.
- Extensive experience interviewing candidates for analytical positions and a keen eye for talent.
- Strong experience leading analytical teams at rapidly growing businesses is required. Proven experience as an entrepreneur is preferred.
- Experience leading and scaling cross-functional, dynamic teams.
- A strong ability to build highly effective training sequences for diverse skill sets.
- Experience guiding and executing functional specialization within teams, including setting and monitoring KPIs that both reflect clear division of responsibilities and larger team goals.
- Demonstrated analytical rigor. You must know how to quantitatively analyze and optimize marketing programs and growth initiatives.
- A lean, data-driven, process and KPI-oriented mentality is critical.
- You must have a strong bias for action and the ability to foster a competitive, results-driven mentality in your team. You must be extremely persistent by nature and unwilling to let your team lose or leave problems unsolved.
- You must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
We’re looking for someone who will meticulously analyze and provide insightful feedback on all of the landing pages, keywords, and other types of work output related to Growth Marketing. We expect such reviews to be meaningful and to provide insightful feedback. All Executive and Senior Leadership Team members at Toptal are required to have full control and ownership over the work output relating to their functions, and there are no exceptions to this. If you’re not interested in reviewing and providing feedback on all of the work that Growth Marketing produces on at least a bi-weekly basis, do not apply.