Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, finance, and project management talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
At Toptal, creating beautiful, functional design that contributes powerfully and seamlessly to user experience is critical to us. We don’t cut corners or make compromises, and as we rapidly grow, we need to ensure that our design teams are able to execute at scale without loss in quality.
As the VP of Design, you will lead all design teams at Toptal and will be in charge of setting the design vision, strategy, workflow and team structure to achieve world-class design status for the business. You will also work to enable streamlined collaboration among our designers and our product, marketing, and engineering teams at scale. To excel in this role, you must have an excellent understanding of how to scale both product design and marketing design functions.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
- Serve as the chief creative director and “soul of the brand” across the company.
- Lead Toptal’s entire product and marketing design functions, collaborating with stakeholders around the company to understand the needs of their teams and establishing a team structure and end-to-end workflow designed to best serve those needs.
- Create best-in-class, industry-leading design systems across marketing and product teams that position Toptal as the premier leader in its market.
- Empower and mentor designers on your team, fostering a collaborative, productive, and positive environment within a growing team.
- Maintain and further build design team workflows that ensure that all designs delivered are in line with our style guides and extremely high quality standards.
- Work with your team to optimize output and ensure that the large volume of deliverables requested of the design team on a daily basis are completed on time.
- Gauge fluctuations in the needs of relevant teams at Toptal and hire more designers for your team accordingly.
- Lead your team in expanding mastery of the business goals of each design request and pushing back on stakeholders with innovative UX/UI proposals.
- Empower your team members to proactively lead iteration cycles with stakeholders and push designs forward according to the team’s vision and understanding of the business goals of each request.
- Be highly communicative and responsive both within your team and to stakeholders across the company while managing a large volume of ongoing projects.
- Take smart risks and champion new ideas.
- Hire, onboard, train, and mentor new team members.
- Lead team meetings and strategy sessions.
- Communicate constantly with teams via Slack.
- You must be extremely pragmatic and have an exceptional ability to empower and manage teams of designers.
- 10+ years of experience as a design leader across multiple disciplines including product and brand design, with proven experience leading design efforts on successful, complex projects at scale.
- Operating company experience leading 10+ person design teams collaborating with multiple mission-critical areas of a company and containing designers with specialized responsibilities.
- Proven experience building and maintaining style guides and streamlined UI/UX workflows with QA feedback systems.
- Experience with B2B software or services and a technology-centric career history.
- Extensive mastery of Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, and InVision, with a strong understanding of when design teams should be using each tool.
- Ability to create and work towards an overall design vision that meets and enhances business goals across the company.
- Ability to consider long-term sustainability in all design decisions and maintain an eye for reusability in designs.
- Strong communication skills with a keen ability to champion the best ideas and push hard for your beliefs with integrity and respect.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- As Toptal's co-founder and COO, Breanden drives Toptal's growth by building world-class teams and operational infrastructure spanning 40+ countries to meet the talent needs of Toptal's 10,000+ clients. As a frequent writer, Breanden has published articles on leadership of distributed teams and hypergrowth company culture. Having been on both sides of the hiring equation as an engineer and team lead, Breanden combines his technical expertise and management experience to ensure that clients, talent, and team members at Toptal continually strive for excellence as the company rapidly scales. Breanden has a BSE in Chemical Engineering from Princeton University.
- As Toptal’s co-founder and CEO, Taso manages Toptal’s core team of hundreds of team members distributed throughout the world, with a focus on innovation. Since Toptal was founded in 2010, Taso has led it to become the largest high-skilled labor marketplace in the world. Taso serves on the board of multiple organizations, advising on talent strategy and innovation for Fortune 100s and non-profits. Taso has guest lectured at Harvard Business School, Wharton, and Oxford on talent management and entrepreneurship.