Toptal is one of the most innovative and rapidly expanding tech start-ups from Silicon Valley. With backing from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Adam D’Angelo, our platform is the fastest growing labor marketplace in the history of the Internet—connecting thousands of elite engineers all over the world. In the last five years, Toptal has become the #1 choice for tech companies requiring top-tier engineering talent and for the top 3% of freelancers looking for their next challenge.
While we’re primarily focused on bringing quality and value to our clients, we’re also committed to creating a world-class environment for our employees. We are a completely distributed company with thousands of core and network team members located all over the world, and we take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We take an all-hands-on-deck approach to our work, taking pride in being collaborative, creative, and flexible.
If you aren’t looking for a job because you’re already killing it, we want you.
You will be responsible for implementing and managing scalable financial systems, policies, and processes for our rapidly growing company. As a strategic partner to the executive team, you will help realize the company’s worldwide vision both by solving high-level problems and by diving into day-to-day details. In addition to driving our financial planning, forecasting, reporting, and analysis efforts, you’ll be leading initiatives to set up Toptal for long-term financial health.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
- Establish scalable financial policies, controls, processes, and organizational structures.
- Prepare and manage financial statements and forecasts while ensuring that data presented is comprehensive, accurate, and meaningful.
- Run accounting processes for AR/AP, payroll, bookkeeping, and expense processes.
- Drive financial and business strategies without losing sight of the day-to-day operations.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to team members on strategy.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Skype.
- 5+ years of experience including proven, extensive leadership and individual contributor experience in managing finances, accounts payable, payroll, and operational processes. B.A. or B.S. in Finance or Accounting.
- Exceptional knowledge of Excel. You know and use all best practices, your models are efficient, scalable, and intuitive, and you break down complex topics elegantly and intelligently.
- Experience with the review and audit process of at least one of the Big 4 Accounting Firms.
- Direct experience raising $50M+ financing rounds and interfacing with investors.
- Experience at pre and post IPO companies as well as with the IPO process.
- Experience in the enterprise software space.
- An extremely sharp eye for detail with exceptional business judgment.
- Be able to build and scale in a fast-growing company with a focus on execution.
- You must have excellent verbal and written communication skills enabling you to rapidly collaborate while explaining complex concepts clearly and directly.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- Breanden has been an engineer, founder, CTO, and consultant in industries ranging from aerospace to financial services to high tech. He has a BSE in Chemical Engineering from Princeton University, where he was previously asked to speak at TEDxPrincetonU, giving a talk on time optimization and resource management. As a Toptal co-founder, Breanden frequently writes about scaling a hyper-growth and distributed company, and he has been featured on the blog of Tim Ferriss, The Huffington Post, and many others. Having been on both sides of the hiring equation as an engineer and team lead, Breanden combines his technical expertise and management experience to ensure that clients, developers, and team members at Toptal continually strive for excellence as the company rapidly scales.
- With experience as a lead engineer at Fotolog (acquired by Hi-Media for $100m) and Slide (acquired by Google for $228m), as well as experience with his own start-ups, Taso brings top engineering knowledge and management experience to Toptal. While running a small engineering consulting firm, Taso recognized that while many of his co-workers overseas were just as good as his friends and colleagues at Google, Facebook, and other companies with distinguished engineering talent, it was simply very difficult for such companies to connect with the right engineers remotely. Toptal was thus created as a solution to the sky-rocketing demand for top engineers in Silicon Valley, the US, and Europe despite the shrinking local graduation rates of such engineers. Taso was recently selected by Forbes as one of its 30 under 30 in Enterprise Technology.