VP of Market Insights
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As the VP of Market Insights, you will be responsible for delivering strategic insights and recommendations that drive full-funnel marketing strategy and service offerings. You will accomplish this by collaborating with the relevant Executive and Marketing team members and utilizing both internal and external research and data. Your primary focus will be to build a team of research experts that help the company better understand key audiences that will strengthen our brand and growth marketing campaigns.
You will be expected to work with your team of Insights Managers to deliver a regular cadence of insights that support the company’s priority initiatives, marketing goals, and cross-functional needs. To thrive in this role, you will have a passion for turning information into insights that inspire exceptional creativity. You will plan, organize, and execute innovative, thought-provoking research that empowers teams to develop world-class marketing to generate brand awareness and maintain the company’s hyper growth trajectory.
Our ideal candidate has a mastery of a myriad of research and data-gathering methods, including expertise at conducting primary research, strong connections to world-class syndicated research vendors, and a thorough comprehension of how to analyze third-party data sources for actionable insights.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Work with the Executive, Enterprise, SMB, Talent Operations, and other key teams across the company to set and execute the roadmap for Toptal’s short- and long-term research needs.
- Work with the Business Analytics and Marketing Strategy teams to extrapolate insights that teams can leverage to create “change the business” initiatives.
- Develop capabilities for delivering insights that drive effective GTM strategies for new verticals, practices, solutions, and specializations.
- Build a better understanding of Toptal’s key audiences and perceptions and awareness of the brand through focus groups, in-depth interviews, and other qual/quant research to drive powerful marketing campaigns.
- Build a process that enables real-time monitoring of customer and market trends, leveraging sources such as search, social listening, news monitoring, customer intent data, jobs postings, and labor market data.
- Guide the prioritization of research needs as Toptal continues to scale.
- Oversee the interviewing and hiring of new team members as the team continues to scale.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to your team and the organization on research findings.
- Act as a high-level project manager to all of the marketing-related initiatives that your team is responsible for, ensuring that all initiatives are on time and adequately resourced.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Slack, Zoom and other means.
In the first week, expect to:
- Work to get up to speed with how the organization runs, including how our OKRs, RACIs, and other operational frameworks work.
In the first month, expect to:
- Understand the inner workings of the Marketing function and how they work effectively with other functions. You will also be expected to identify optimizations and opportunities that you see relating to further building the Market Insights team and its capabilities, organizational structure, and operational processes.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Have a very strong understanding of how the Marketing function and all related external functions are working together with Marketing.
- Have charted a path for ensuring collaboration is strong and work output remains at an extremely high quality level for all initiatives generated by your team.
- Have garnered the trust of your peers and the individuals who you’re most closely working with.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Have exemplified the ability to inspire and mentor the teams you’re working with.
- Have materially upleveled the team’s ability to brainstorm, collaborate, and execute.
- Have implemented several primary research studies that address priority needs and are a direct result of your personal efforts.
- Have chartered a clear path for scaling the team, as well as the work output that Market Insights is able to produce.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have significantly contributed to strengthening the Marketing briefs and strategies through the delivery of insights that motivate and inspire exceptional creativity.
- Have demonstrated the successful implementation and execution of several new primary and secondary research approaches.
- Have garnered the trust of the Executive and Senior Leadership Team in your ability to lead the Market Insights team for the long-term.
- You must have at least fifteen years of experience working in market research, either in-house for brands, within agencies, and/or market research companies.
- You must have experience running market research end-to-end, from understanding research objectives, selecting the appropriate methodology, managing research vendors, and sharing insights with stakeholders and the Executive team.
- You must have the ability to understand business objectives and identify opportunities to apply market research methodologies that help enable better decision-making.
- You must have extensive experience working with senior leaders and stakeholders with a broad range of business objectives and questions, helping translate them into actionable market research proposals.
- You must have a desire and ability to work beyond primary market research to produce multi-faceted, comprehensive perspectives on Toptal’s client and talent audiences.
- You must have the ability and willingness to review, with meticulous attention to detail, all of the final work product that your team creates.
- You must be an extremely quick, strategic thinker with exceptional experience leading highly effective teams.
- Strong experience working with creative teams.
- Experience leading and scaling cross functional, dynamic teams.
- A strong ability to build highly effective training that motivates the team to deliver consistently exceptional work.
- Experience guiding and executing functional specializations within the Market Insights team, including setting and monitoring KPIs that both reflect clear division of responsibilities and larger team goals.
- Demonstrated analytical rigor. You must know how to quantitatively analyze research reports.
- A lean, data-driven, process, and KPI-oriented mentality is critical.
- You must have a strong bias for action and the ability to foster a results-driven mentality in your team. You must be extremely persistent by nature and unwilling to let your team leave problems unsolved.
- You must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.