Toptal is one of the most innovative and rapidly expanding tech start-ups from Silicon Valley. With backing from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Adam D’Angelo, our platform is the fastest growing labor marketplace in the history of the Internet—connecting thousands of elite engineers all over the world. In the last five years, Toptal has become the #1 choice for tech companies requiring top-tier engineering talent and for the top 3% of freelancers looking for their next challenge.
While we’re primarily focused on bringing quality and value to our clients, we’re also committed to creating a world-class environment for our employees. We are a completely distributed company with thousands of core and network team members located all over the world, and we take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We take an all-hands-on-deck approach to our work, taking pride in being collaborative, creative, and flexible.
If you aren’t looking for a job because you’re already killing it, we want you.
You will work closely with the CEO and COO and team leads across the company to develop detailed plans of action and support teams and individuals to flawlessly execute initiatives and meet aggressive goals. You will be responsible for understanding all aspects of Toptal operations and for helping to establish and drive long-term strategies for all teams, including the growth, finance, product, sales, and operations teams. Your primary focus will be strategic planning and execution, and you will work very closely with many high-energy, cross-functional teams that include engineers, financial experts, data scientists, growth experts, and more.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
- Work closely with the CEO and COO to formulate new growth strategies and execution tactics.
- Identify growth opportunities explicitly correlating to new markets that are segmented by products, countries, and types of skilled labor.
- Create comprehensive, detailed execution plans that growth, marketing, product, sales, and operations teams will be able to carry out without ambiguity.
- Stay intimately familiar with the operational details and tactics of all teams in the company and build upon those to improve strategy and execution, including teams with no direct reporting relationship to you.
- Work closely with our financial and legal teams to ensure all growth strategies are meeting their priorities.
- Plan and manage all initiatives with an eye on long-term vision and scalability.
- Communicate complicated matters to executives in an easily digestible, structured way.
- Effectively use data and analytics to evolve and inform the direction of strategic efforts and use analytical judgment to solve problems with limited information.
- Establish a shared vision within teams by building consensus on priorities, goals, timelines, and success metrics.
- Motivate team members to meet challenging deadlines.
- Help teams across the company debug operational issues and fix the roots of any problems, in particular where they are causing failures in execution or bottlenecks in growth, legal, financial, or sales strategies.
- Inspire and motivate team members through speeches, motivational writing, one-on-ones, and constant contact over Skype and email.
- Set aggressive deadlines backed by data. Inspire the team to believe in the mission and work hard to achieve it.
- Become the “A&R” of execution and quality. Grill people on quality of their execution and keep a close eye on the quality of individual and team execution, finding answers and making improvements as needed. Applaud excellent execution and work to turn “good enough” execution into excellence.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to teams on strategy.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Skype.
- A STEM, Economics, or Finance degree and 4+ years of experience in engineering or strategy management.
- Outstanding leadership skills and an aptitude for assessing situations and taking action.
- Significant experience leading strategy and execution in a high-paced, data-driven, tech start-up environment, including strong familiarity with start-up best practices.
- A deep understanding of relevant growth metrics in a tech start-up and extensive experience with data-backed task prioritization and strategic planning.
- Experience motivating and working closely with software engineers, data scientists, and designers, and a tremendous record of encouraging communication, collaboration, and execution.
- Ability to formulate and clearly lay out detailed, high-impact strategies for a variety of teams with different purposes.
- Ability to simultaneously juggle different team priorities, operational standards, goals, and areas of expertise.
- Ability to rapidly understand the strengths, weaknesses, and motivations of team members, and to synthesize and use this information to decide on best courses of action.
- You must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- Breanden has been an engineer, founder, CTO, and consultant in industries ranging from aerospace to financial services to high tech. He has a BSE in Chemical Engineering from Princeton University, where he was previously asked to speak at TEDxPrincetonU, giving a talk on time optimization and resource management. As a Toptal co-founder, Breanden frequently writes about scaling a hyper-growth and distributed company, and he has been featured on the blog of Tim Ferriss, The Huffington Post, and many others. Having been on both sides of the hiring equation as an engineer and team lead, Breanden combines his technical expertise and management experience to ensure that clients, developers, and team members at Toptal continually strive for excellence as the company rapidly scales.
- With experience as a lead engineer at Fotolog (acquired by Hi-Media for $100m) and Slide (acquired by Google for $228m), as well as experience with his own start-ups, Taso brings top engineering knowledge and management experience to Toptal. While running a small engineering consulting firm, Taso recognized that while many of his co-workers overseas were just as good as his friends and colleagues at Google, Facebook, and other companies with distinguished engineering talent, it was simply very difficult for such companies to connect with the right engineers remotely. Toptal was thus created as a solution to the sky-rocketing demand for top engineers in Silicon Valley, the US, and Europe despite the shrinking local graduation rates of such engineers. Taso was recently selected by Forbes as one of its 30 under 30 in Enterprise Technology.