Geoff J Phillips
San Francisco, CA, United States
Toptal Member Since
October 5, 2020
Geoff is a seasoned design leader with 15+ years of multidisciplinary experience overseeing brand, product, marketing, and website initiatives. His expertise comprises design systems, UI, UX, IxD, IA, brand identity, and messaging. Companies he's worked for include Autodesk, Intuit, Kohler, Johnson & Johnson, LG, Motorola, Samsung, Sony, VF, and Volkswagen. In addition to exceptional communication, management, and presentation skills, Geoff is a fun, engaged, and collaborative colleague.
Geoff is available for hireHire Geoff
Q Bio | Brand and Website Design
User Experience (UX)Information Architecture (IA)Interaction Design (IxD)Digital BrandingDigital Brand IdentityWeb Design+ 4 more
ABB | Website Redesign and Standards
Web DesignDesign GuidelinesUI GuidelinesDesign SystemsVisual SystemsCorporate Design+ 3 more
eCommerceeCommerce UXDigital BrandingInteraction Design (IxD)Information Architecture (IA)Luxury Goods+ 2 more
Samsung TV | MENA Localization
Smart TVUser Experience (UX)User Interface (UI)Interaction Design (IxD)UX ResearchEthnographic Interviews+ 5 more
Early Warning + Zelle | Website Design
Website RedesignUser Experience (UX)Information Architecture (IA)Interaction Design (IxD)Digital Brand IdentityFinancial Services+ 1 more
GetSafe | Brand, Website, App, and Movie
WebsitesUser Experience (UX)Digital BrandingVideosAppsApp UI+ 5 more
2017 - PRESENT
- Served as an independent leader and consultant, directing UX and brand identity projects for an array of agencies and companies, including Adobe, Awasu Design, Goodby Silverstein & Partners, Linus, MapBox, Propane, Q Bio, and Zelle.
- Led and presented campaign concepts for Zelle, the leader in P2P payments.
- Oversaw design and client relations for the brand and website launch of Q Bio, an exciting new platform for measuring and assessing personal health over time.
- Led a website overhaul and rebrand for financial services giant, Early Warning.
- Art directed campaign visuals for Adobe's premium stock resource.
- Spearheaded the rebrand and website redesign for SF/Arts, the premier informational resource for arts-related news and events in the San Francisco and the Bay Area.
Technologies: InVision, Figma, Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite, Digital Brand Identity, Motion Design, Information Architecture (IA), Interaction Design (IxD), User Interface (UI), User Experience (UX), Design Systems, Branding
2011 - 2017
- Managed teams consisting of designers, project managers, and strategists.
- Presented design solutions and fostered client relations. Collaborated with international colleagues on global initiatives. Partnered with business development to pursue and win new work.
- Oversaw major website redesigns for ABB, InFocus, Sony, and TrueFacet.
- Led development of UX concepts and features for next-generation LG phones.
- Directed UI/UX for a MENA region execution of Samsung's Smart TV interface.
- Led the brand strategy and rebrand for the Ecos line of natural household products. Helped roll out the new brand in national stores, including Whole Foods Market and Walmart.
Technologies: Strategy, Color Theory, Typography, Information Architecture (IA), Interaction Design (IxD), User Interface (UI), User Experience (UX), Branding, Motion Design, G Suite, Microsoft Office, Figma, InVision, Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite
2008 - 2011
- Led teams to bring brand strategies and product experiences to life for clients in technology, culture, healthcare, science, and education sectors. Served as a bridge between brand and interaction design disciplines. Multidisciplinary to the core.
- Principal designer assisting Autodesk in revamping their product UI and branding.
- Created UX concepts for Motorola phones, Sony Vaio laptops, and Intuit software.
- Participated in and led new biz pitches, strategy workshops, design critiques, and client presentations.
Technologies: Figma, Microsoft Office, Sketch, InVision, Adobe Creative Suite
2006 - 2007
- Served as the in-house web designer for the leader in core system technologies.
- Played a key role in overseeing a major website overhaul that included a strategy for future site needs and developments.
- Designed and developed online campaigns for internal and trade show events.
Technologies: Technology, Web Standards, Digital Campaigns, User Flows, Websites
2005 - 2006
- Served as a UI consultant to optimize software usability for a suite of operational and administrative tools used campus-wide.
- Designed the GUI for a suite of educational software applications, including a library research tool and interactive media for instruction and assessment.
- Created a promotional campaign to activate a software suite among students and professors.
Technologies: Adobe Photoshop
2002 - 2005
Continuing Studies in Interaction Design
Stanford Extension - Palo Alto, CA, USA
1992 - 1994
Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree in Art and Design
University of California at Santa Cruz - Santa Cruz, CA, USA