Verified Expert in Design
James is a graphic designer from the UK with over two decades of experience working with some of the worlds leading brands and digital agencies. He is an expert in visual design, branding, conceptual design work, creative direction, graphic design, UI, and digital design. His wealth of commercial experience combined with a genuine passion for design results in beautiful strategic design solutions for his clients.
Freelance Graphic Designer
- Worked as a freelance creative director and graphic designer.
- Worked with various international clients entirely remotely; for both agencies and private clients.
- Won numerous awards with agencies Crowd and Amuzo.
- For Amuzo, worked on the full branding and website design.
- For the client Lego, continued to provide creative direction for Amuzo on various Lego projects.
- Won multiple awards including BIMA and NMA Effectiveness Awards.
- Provided the creative direction for numerous Lego games. For example Star Wars' Battle Orders (a strategy game), created UI design without a need for localized text, saving Lego a lot of time and money. Worked on other games which include Lego Chima Speedorz, Lego World Racers, Lego Star Wars Ace Assault 1 and 2, and Lego Rise of the Robots.
- Provided and managed the creative direction for two racing games for BBC Radio 1. These were featured live on air with presenters and celebrities challenging the listeners to beat their times.
- Developed the creative direction for two racing games for Mobil 1 racing games. These were Formula one and NASCAR themed featuring Lewis Hamilton, Jenson Button, and Tony Stewart. The public was invited to play with winners having their names added to the actual race car.
- Managed a team of designers and developers, ensuring successful translation of design into reality.
- Design work was seen by hundreds of millions of people through various games!
- Set best working design practices for both the agency and clients.
- Led research and development for Lego's internal product development team. The aim of this was to develop different concepts of how Lego's real life products or toys could be combined with technology to interface with their games, thereby driving sales. Led this project at every step from initial concepts right through to creating interactive presentations for end user testing.
- While working here won several awards: FWA Site of the Day, Adobe Site of the Day, and IMA Best in Class (Celebrity/Fan).
- Received multiple promotions in a short time to become Head Creative in both the UK and the US.
- For the client, the Golf Open, provided the creative direction for the app console. The app was short listed for the Adobe Max 2011 Awards in the entertainment section.
- For M. Night Shyamalan's personal web site provided the creative direction for the entire site which is still in use today.
- For Disney, provided creative direction and pitched work that helped Lightmaker win the Disney Interactive Website award.
- For the client Innocent, worked as the lead designer on everything from pitch work to full site design. The site was in use for over 8 years.
- For Ikea, as the lead designer pitched work that helped win the Ikea Everyday Heroes micro-site.
- Worked as the lead designer on the Man Utd website.
- Gave creative direction for the David Beckham soccer schools.
- Worked on numerous game websites as well as did pitch work for EA Games, Eidos, and Ubisoft.
- Provided creative direction for Emma Bunton's official website.
- Worked on numerous high profile brands in the gaming, sports, entertainment and luxury sectors: Soho House, Manolo Blahnik, PKR, Chelsea FC, Fulham FC, ATP, Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards, and Frank Pistachio.
Designer / Head of Design
- Designed and worked as the creative lead on a marketing game for Vauxhall Corsa.
- Provided the concept and design for MTV's Punk'd mobile promotion.
- Designed the UI, in game graphics, and environment for Lego's Rise of the Robots game.
- Started as the first in-house designer and helped build the design team by selecting and interviewing candidates as well as developing the creative environment.
- Provided creative direction for games that have millions of game plays.
- Designed six seasons of digital marketing for Criminal Clothing including FWA's winning Flash website.
- Designed the personal website for Shaun Palmer as well as the Palmer snowboards brand site.
- Designed the website and supportive marketing materials for Brittany Ferries.
- Designed the brand website for Kumala wines.
- Designed the website and marketing material for 1st Byte, one of the UK's leading digital printers.
Higher National Diploma (Equivalent to Associate's) Degree in Graphic Design and Illustration
The Arts Institute - Bournemouth, UK