Verified Expert in Design
With over 15 years of tech, startup, agency, and government experience designing web and mobile applications and design systems at scale, Karen specializes in human-centered product design, employing strategic design thinking and agile approaches with strong front-end technical knowledge.
Principal Product Designer
- Created end-to-end product design of a new SaaS application product from 0 to 1 to replace complex legacy software for government service centers with over 1,000 transactions to redesign.
- Worked on the discovery, user research, streamlining processes, problem-solving, running workshops, prototyping, user testing, and collaborating with the team to reiterate and release often, using Agile and Lean methodologies.
- Mentored and recruited designers, ran a design guild, and fostered design culture within the organization.
Freelance Lead | Product and UI/UX Designer
- Conducted discovery with competitive analysis, heuristic evaluation, customer journey map, sitemap, user flows, feature mapping, and prioritization.
- Redesigned the current app with better UI/UX. Created wireframes and high-definition prototypes for user testing and brainstormed the design for future features. View case study: https://work.yungraphik.com/portfolio_page/taker/.
- Designed the initial branding with a logo, typography, and color palette and created the design system for the web app.
Senior UI/UX Designer
- Designed the UI/UX for the eBay Australia site and customized the global site.
- Created new product design and innovative thinking with the US team for Top Products and Google Home.
- Designed the admin for creating custom product pages.
- Created the UI/UX design and prototyping for bringing the grocery shopping experience to eBay Australia.
Lead UI/UX Designer
- Created UI/UX design for a large-scale government digital transformation project with complex transactions for the website and mobile app.
- Contributed to projects including driver's license, vehicle registration, payments platform, and digital licensing applications.
- Mapped journeys, created wireframes, led the visual design, created the style guide and high-fidelity prototypes for mobile-first and website applications.
- Worked in large teams with many stakeholders and external developers.
- Managed and collaborated with external agencies to design mobile apps.
Lead Visual Designer
The Active Network
- Served as the lead visual designer for a US technology company.
- Designed a new bucket list/event registration/marketplace web and mobile app.
- Designed enterprise application UI style guide for over 30 products.
- Worked remotely from Sydney, leading a team of five visual designers, collaborating closely with UX designers and overseas developers.
- Managed the design of multiple products, helped hire new designers and reported to US Global Creative Director.
Lead Interactive/Digital Designer
- Worked in Sydney for top design agencies and designed digital campaigns for major brands: Nike, Commonwealth Bank, ANZ, Westpac, St. George, American Express, GE, Ford Motors, Subaru, Skoda, Air NZ, Rdio, Optus, Nestle, Canadian Club, and VICE.
- Worked in Los Angeles and designed award-winning interactive websites for Sony Pictures Classics films and tourism websites for major ski resorts. Designed branding and websites for various business startups.
- Worked in Portland, Oregon, and designed and built interactive Flash applications for Nike and Intel.
Certificate in Web and Multimedia Design
University of British Columbia - Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Bachelor's Degree in Design and Environmental Analysis
Cornell University - New York, NY, USA