Verified Expert in Design
Maria is an LA-based product generalist with a bias for product design. She has designed and shipped multiple profitable and beloved consumer apps. She effortlessly integrates her work with the business and engineering sides of the house. Her experience includes working with clients to design 0->1 products and leverage existing design systems to improve and iterate features. Maria's areas of interest include productivity, fintech, wellness, education, and media product design.
- Conducted generative and evaluative user research to gain insight into the app user experience and surface recommendations on which UX flows, UI designs, and features to iterate, fix, or eliminate for all clients.
- Designed new onboarding flows, search funnels, marketplace listings, and checkout funnels for the travel app Hopper. This was based on product design best practices and insights from user experience research.
- Designed habit-tracking features in the productivity app Happier, which won a Webby for best interaction design.
- Created a pixel-perfect visual design; leveraged design systems to map out new app features and updates through integrated work with product leads, engineers, creative directors, and illustrators.
Sr Communications Manager
- Launched Hydrogen, a headless commerce framework. Wrote compelling technical messaging frameworks and value propositions for all marketing teams to source from. Executed media strategy and integrated across teams and with execs.
- Launched tokengated commerce, a way to integrate web3 with eCommerce. Wrote technical messaging frameworks and value propositions for all marketing teams to source from. Executed media strategy. Integrated across teams and with execs.
- Created messaging strategy, wrote industry landscape overviews, deep dives on tech trends, and shared POVs on high-tech trends with executive leadership to empower them to have nuanced conversations with analysts and tech media.
- Led comms for Shopify's developer conferences. Integrated across all marketing and product functions to align resources and messages to drive effective marketing moments for the team.
Founding Product Designer and Product Manager
Chani Nicholas Inc
- Designed and launched the iOS app that increased company revenue ten times by performing the PM, UI/UX designer, and marketing lead tasks.
- Carried out other activities such as creating user stories, identifying features, mapping out information architecture, designing wireframes, conducting user research, and more.
- Built the mobile app visual identity and design system in concert with the creative director and illustrators, which resulted in the design system being extensible and still in use today.
- Led the go-to-market strategy execution, hitting user acquisition goals within 24 hours of launch.
- Led the communications strategy as part of the marketing workstream to launch significant products such as Windows, Office, Surface, and many others.
- Worked in synergy with other functions across the company, both horizontally and vertically, to get feedback, reviews, and approvals on writing and communications materials.
- Conducted industry research and analysis, identified trends, and prepared reports for executives on any white space opportunities.
- Presented campaign ideas to executives for feedback and review on strategy and plans.
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Communications
University of Washington - Seattle, WA
UI Design Program