Verified Expert in Design
Matt is an expert in product design, front-end development, illustration, and branding. He often works with global brands and organizations, including the World Health Organization, IDEO, and Uber. His first job was being a photojournalist, working for newspapers to tell stories about people in their communities. He learned to listen intently, welcome other perspectives, be patient, and let ideas grow. Those values still lead him to make quality things today.
Product Designer | Art Director | Front-end Developer
MHS Design Co.
- Provided UX and UI design services for a prominent NYC-based eCommerce fashion brand that gets 20K visitors each month.
- Designed and developed a custom virtual events WordPress website for United Nations conference listings, used and shared by hundreds of thousands of users worldwide.
- Designed marketing materials for a prominent US-based tech company that were used in worldwide presentations, marketing initiatives, and internal communications. The materials helped increase customer retention and attract new customers globally.
- Designed a responsive website for a credit financing company, including the front-end style guide for maintaining the look and feel of the brand.
- Designed a custom platform with a tablet/mobile app and CMS for managing construction projects with retail stores, done for a major retail company.
- Designed an iOS app for mobile/tablet that showcased product photos and information for a major cosmetics company.
- Created illustrations for storyboards to be used in animation for an appliance and energy company.
- Designed a responsive website for a medical device company, and refreshed the look of their old website.
- Led a team of ten in-house designers, including freelance designers on the web, mobile app, AR, and motion graphics projects.
- Led the creative direction on the large web, mobile app, AR, and motion graphics projects for clients in the healthcare, biotech, education, energy, and financial industries.
- Hired, coached, and reviewed the performance of five in-house design leads and oversaw their management of freelance designers.
- Designed a large touchscreen app for a leading university in Canada, which helped students and faculty navigate the campus and interact with a campus media feed.
- Designed a large touchscreen app for a major car company, showcasing their features with animations, product videos, and images.
- Designed a large touchscreen app for a hotel chain, assisting guests with wayfinding and an interactive hotel media feed.
- Designed a touchscreen app for a major convention center, assisting attendants with wayfinding and an interactive conference feed.
- Worked on the art direction and branding for the company's website and promotional material.
- Led a team of three in-house designers, including freelance designers on an interactive touchscreen kiosk, web, and motion graphics projects.
- Led the creative direction of interactive touchscreen kiosk, web, and motion graphics projects for clients in the automotive, hospitality, real estate, and financial industries.
- Hired, coached, and reviewed the performance of three in-house design leads and oversaw their management of freelance designers.
- Photographed daily newspaper features, both for front page and inside story leads in multiple cities in Washington State.
- Photographed a variety of sporting events from high school to college-level for features within the sports section of a daily newspaper.
- Created pitches and photographed them for in-depth stories in various communities of Washington State.
Master's Degree in Digital Media
Centre for Digital Media - Vancouver, Canada
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Cinema Studies
University of Washington - Seattle, USA
Associate's Degree in Graphic Design
Centralia College - Centralia, USA
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring