Melissa (Wedeen) Shimada
Gardena, CA, United States
Member since February 25, 2016
Melissa is a UX consultant with interaction design, strategy, and research expertise. She studied HCI at UC San Diego and has solved problems for startups, agencies, and Fortune 500 companies across numerous industries. Her work has been featured on Awwwards, TIME, and Fast Company, and at various conferences. She has expanded her user-centered design philosophy to excel in leadership roles and foster cross-team collaboration.
- UX Consultant2017 - PRESENTMelissa Shimada
Technologies: Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Sketch, Omnigraffle, Axure, Keynote, InVision
- Advise clients and create deliverables pertaining to UX strategy, research, information architecture, data visualization, UI, product design, and interaction design.
- Coach agencies on how to approach clients with consideration to design, development, and budget constraints.
- Direct stakeholder meetings and workshops.
- UX Lead2017 - 2017Appetize
Technologies: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Sketch, InVision, Keynote
- Directed UX vision and strategy for mobile ordering SDK and POS apps for retail, restaurants, and concessions stands.
- Established how UX design integrates with product, engineering, and quality assurance.
- Balanced short-term agile/scrum deliverables with long-term UX strategy.
- Managed and mentored a team of designers.
- UX Designer2015 - 2016Deutsch
Technologies: Sketch, Adobe InDesign, InVision, Axure, Keynote
- Led UX and strategy on multidisciplinary teams to build responsive websites and apps for clients including Anthem, Target, Foster Farms, Taco Bell, and Volkswagen.
- Evangelized usability testing and rapid prototyping to expand client services.
- UX Designer2014 - 2015HYFN
Technologies: Omnigraffle, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, InVision, Axure, Keynote, Sketch
- Executed UX and UI design for mobile apps and responsive websites for clients such as Behr, Cornerstone, CyberU, Fandango, FritoLay, Philosophy, and more.
- Web Developer & Researcher2013 - 2014Qualcomm Institute at Calit2
- Directed and presented HCI research on museum technology, virtual reality, and health trackers.
- Published and presented findings at conferences.
- Managed social media, wrote articles, and coded websites for UCSD’s technology-enhanced learning and online course development initiatives.
- UX Design Intern2013 - 2013Cinder
Technologies: Balsamiq, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, HTML, CSS, jQuery
- Rapidly iterated prototypes of a mobile cooking app.
- Built company websites from UX and branding to visual design and front-end development.
- Design Media Certificate in Visual Design2013 - 2013UC San Diego Extension - San Diego
- Bachelor of Science degree in Cognitive Science – Human Computer Interaction2009 - 2013UC San Diego - La Jolla