Rafael J. Hernandez
Verified Expert in Design
Rafael is a Miami-based product designer with extensive experience in delivering elegant, human-centered design solutions that balance business objectives and user needs. When joining projects, he is able to catch up quickly and work through problems without precise requirements. Rafael focuses on driving value to businesses and solving user pain points through design.
Product Designer (Consultant)
- Managed a small team of designers, performed and synthesized research into actionable recommendations, and designed two experiences that addressed major pain points for Beeline, a vendor management system company at Fuego UX.
- Led design efforts, understanding user needs and translating those into experiences that empower major retailers with the right tools and technology to fight organized crime at Treuth and PBC.
- Oversaw product design for the consumer-facing app that facilitates bachelorette parties through question-and-answer games for Toast and Roast.
Adjunct Lead Design Instructor
- Led online courses and taught all aspects of user experience and interface design to individuals looking to switch careers and enter the field at the University of Miami, the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and NJIT.
- Provided mentorship and coaching to set learners up for success as they entered the job market.
- Lectured on design fundamentals, color theory, typography, grids and layouts, software tools, presenting design, and portfolio preparation.
Product Design Consultant
- Designed a transportation management system that allowed the client to better serve their customers with their car shipping needs.
- Collaborated with a client to bring quote and order generation, status tracking, order management, order history, and billing under one system. This was previously handled through separate solutions.
- Managed a client through the project, providing recommendations and implementing designs. The new tool increased productivity, helped minimize errors, and brought simplicity to an otherwise messy process.
- Conducted interviews and design reviews with users to align our recommendations with their needs. Worked extensively with customer's user base to ensure pain points were addressed.
User Experience Design Consultant
- Created a mobile app experience that helped Coca-Cola field technicians troubleshoot, service, and repair vending machines and related equipment. Successful launch led to clients signing up for more apps to continue evolving the way they worked.
- Designed an intuitive user experience on iPad and Apple Watch for insurance company Amica. The app supercharged the claim adjuster's workflow by taking analog processes, using rich analytics, and leveraging iOS technologies to simplify duties.
- Created a mobile experience for Coppell Independent School District that provided school administrators with rich, high-level insights into classroom performance, empowering them to elevate educational standards for teachers and students.
- Provided creative direction and orchestrated the design of a suite of apps for BNSF. Apps enabled clients to manage service providers and contracts and handle billing and other administrative tasks from the same platform.
- Designed a content management tool that paired with IBM Box. The tool enabled users to create and store documents that could be quickly accessed during the sales lifecycle.
User Interface Designer
- Redesigned the eCommerce experience for Fabory (property of Grainger), leveraging Hybris Accelerator’s out-of-the-box framework.
- Created a visual style guide for the Fabory website leveraging Grainger's design system.
- Collaborated on the design and deployment of the new Grainger website.
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Graphic Communications
University of Wisconsin–Green Bay - Green Bay, WI, USA
Certificate in Creativity and Innovation
School of the Art Institute of Chicago