Verified Expert in Design
Originally trained in industrial design, Tom has worked across UI, UX, and web for seven years. Now firmly specialized in UI and visual design, he's passionate about shaping brands, developing successful products, and delivering real value to businesses. Tom has worked across agencies, freelancing, and consulting on projects with household names to brand new ventures. His breadth of experience allows him to be comfortable joining and contributing to global teams and their objectives.
Morgan Douglas Student Letting Agency
Senior Visual Designer
- Developed a brand identity for a new healthcare venture, including logo, founding principles, typography, color, assets, tone of voice, illustration styles, and accessibility standards/testing.
- Built a scalable and universal design system that enabled rapid product development and consistent design language across a number of digital products.
- Created the UI for two new platforms across three responsive breakpoints.
Senior UI Designer
BCG Digital Ventures
- Designed UI and design system tokens to create a financial aid tool integrated into the client's website.
- Added new design system tokens to enhance and expand the existing design system.
- Developed UI across three responsive breakpoints, including an interactive prototype for each version.
Senior Visual Designer
- Helped UGG to develop a UI and design system for a customer experience platform.
- Created a solution builder for Juniper Solutions (UI and new design system tokens). A new tool that allows customers to create bespoke networking solutions easily.
- Shaped the art direction for an internal Google project, including a suite of bespoke illustrations, infographics, and guiding principles.
- Helped colleagues to transform static UI screens into a scalable design system.
Senior UX Designer
- Developed user personas based on user interviews conducted by a colleague.
- Created customer journey maps to understand our users better and define requirements.
- Shaped user flows and sitemaps for the client's website.
- Created wireframes for web pages to hand over to the UI designer.
Senior UX Consultant
- Led the design of a core open innovation platform that allows collaboration and rapid innovation between fintech and financial institutions through an API marketplace, community, and sandbox.
- Built a modular platform where components can be 'plugged in' when needed. Developed complex user flows and a WCAG AAA-compliant design system based on user feedback in order to accommodate this.
- Collaborated with high-value clients on their own builds based on the core platform. Ran workshops/organized sprints and attended user research sessions.
- Revamped a website for a large web hosting service—attracting over 50,000,000 visitors to the website yearly.
- Developed a full brand for a car dealership including logo, brand colors, brand typography, and website development.
- Redeveloped an estate agency's image by creating a bespoke new website and full branding package.
- Constructed a platform for a garage door wholesaler that digitalized their company—allowing salesmen to order new products on the move.
- Developed a fully responsive website for an outdoor adventure center to increase engagement with users and attract more visitors to the center.
Industrial Design Intern
Mehnert Corporate Design
- Participated in the design of the FRITZ! Dect 210, an outdoor power socket adapter for AVM. I primarily worked on the early stages of this project, producing initial research, sketches, models, and conceptual CAD prototypes/renders.
- Led the redesign of a multi-functional surgical display for a Chinese client with guidance from senior designers. My role included research, sketches, development of 2D and 3D concepts, material selection, and presentation skills.
- Assisted senior designers on multiple projects with Wilo. My responsibilities included sketching, physical models, conceptual Photoshop renders, product renders and imagery, small CAD projects, and building presentations for client feedback.
2:1 Bachelor of Arts Degree with Honors in Design for Industry
Northumbria University - Newcastle upon Tyne, England
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring