Fundraising Consultant | Financial Analyst2019 - PRESENTCanna Growth Industries (via Toptal)
Focus areas: Financial Projections, Financial Models, Pitch Decks, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
- Built a financial model for the design, development, and construction of ten $100-million turnkey cannabis growing-and-processing facilities.
- Developed a dynamic investor waterfall model.
- Created a pitch deck including insights on risks and potential mitigation used to raise $2 million preseed round.
- Reviewed and modified a forecast of cannabis prices based on analyst reports and macroeconomic indicators.
- Advised the management team on the negotiation of a land option and subsequent purchase-vs-land-lease decision.
Independent Consultant2018 - PRESENTIndependent Consulting (outside of Toptal)
- Prepared a report on the fintech space in Singapore for eBay’s Global Managed Payments division.
- Created a business plan for a proposed Sharia-compliant equity crowdfunding platform in the UK.
- Conducted due diligence on crypto arb fund regarding US$1-million investment by investment club.
- Advised on portfolio construction and ETF selection for a Malaysian resident to minimize US WHT.
- Performed due diligence on shariah-compliant mutual funds for an Islamic robo advisor.
Consultant2019 - 2019Bain & Company
- Was hired as employee #7 for a neobank to be launched in the Saudi Arabian market; led a team of three to create a 5-year financial model; advised on target market profile and matching product roadmap.
- Built a financial model to analyze the costing of core banking system vendors under multiple user growth scenarios.
- Designed use cases to test the digital banking functionality of short-listed banking system vendors.
- Negotiated with core banking system vendors resulting in final savings of ~US$10 million.
Manager2014 - 2017Deloitte
Focus areas: Real Estate Finance, Financial Modeling, Financial Model Auditing, DCF Valuation, Valuation, Project Evaluation, Revenue & Expense Projections, Revenue Modeling, Forecasting, P&L Forecasting, Cash Flow Forecasting, Cash Flow Modeling
- Developed a dynamic financial model that included the monetization of 50 properties over a 10-year period, for a city-owned development corporation.
- Built an asset-based model for the estate valuation of a $200-million real estate holding company.
- Built a discounted cash flow (DCF) valuation based on the introduction of several new products for a medical device manufacturer. The model helped the company obtain a multimillion-dollar, multi-year, global licensing deal for one of their products.
- Conducted an in-depth financial analysis of the operations of a research park, and aggregated and analyzed best practices from research parks across North America to create a new operating model for the park.
- Created a go-to-market strategy for a silver-based pharmaceutical burn cream that included five-year revenue and cost projections.
- Developed a detailed financial model and project analysis for three multi-family development projects in Alberta on behalf of investors to compare and select the best project to pursue.
- Managed the construction and delivery of a 29 story office tower on behalf of the tenant. The project included the relocation of 3000 employees, significant upgrades to the company's technology infrastructure, and the centralization of many shared services.
Investment Analyst2013 - 2013Cenovus Ventures
Focus areas: Venture Capital, Investment Analysis, Due Diligence, Financial Modeling
- Led the restructuring of three portfolio investments.
- Conducted detailed market and business analyses on over 20 companies.
- Presented an overview of the fund to Cenovus’ executive committee.
- Researched, selected, and implemented a venture-focused CRM system.
- Coordinated feedback from engineers, technical experts, and business line managers on potential portfolio companies.
Consultant2010 - 2011DEG
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Financial Modeling, Risk Analysis, FX Risk Analysis, Country Risk, Profitability Analysis, Revenue Modeling, Revenue & Expense Projections, Project Evaluation, Cost Estimation
- Built a financial model to value active and fallow fish farms using local real estate prices and the price of fish as inputs.
- Evaluated the financial viability of aquaculture operations, and built data-intensive risk assessment probability models to calculate their potential loss risk.
- Modeled different profit scenarios based on changes in foreign exchange rates and the incorporation of various currency hedging strategies.
- Built detailed cost estimates for aquaculture operations of varying type and size.