Verified Expert in Finance
Albert is a versatile finance professional with global experience across corporate finance functions from FP&A, operational finance to the treasury, strategic finance, M&A, and corporate development. He is a proven partner to senior leadership and business units, from global corporations to venture-backed startups. Albert's experience includes managing billions of budget, building finance infrastructure from the ground-up for startups, and raising $150 million in venture capital.
Financial Modeling for Convertible Debt Issuance
- Built and owned the company’s first long-term financial model, revamped corporate financial reporting across departments and entities in the US, Canada, Europe, and East Africa, and helped create a new SaaS metrics dashboard.
- Led rolling forecasting, reporting process standardization and automation, and resource rationalization.
- Raised $25,000,000 capital (debt, convertible, and equity) for the company.
- Prepared a US SaaS edtech startup for Series B fundraising by building financial projections with key metrics such as ARR, MRR, ARPU, churns, LTV, and CAC, resulting in 5+ meetings with the potential investors.
- Spearheaded the auction process, due diligence, and contract negotiation for an Asian client, a leading local agricultural group, resulting in a successful private placement transaction (convertible debt issuance).
- Advised a real estate developer in fundraising and establishing an issuance arrangement.
- Led the Series C-2 and Series D funding rounds, including financial projection and valuation models, pitch decks and marketing materials, and financial diligence coordination, resulting in $150 million capital (equity and debt) raised.
- Took on finance responsibilities during a nine-month absence of the CFO, reporting to the CEO and board of directors. Delivered the 2019 expenses 15% below budget and extended cash runway by nine months.
- Developed the finance infrastructure from the ground-up and built the first bottom-up budget. Achieved actual variance within 5% for the annual budget by coordinating cross functions in establishing KPIs and medium- and long-term business drivers.
- Managed the financial due diligence and assisted CFO in plotting negotiation tactics to acquire a new business, resulting in a 25% reduction in asked price while outbidding other competitors.
Finance Leadership Program
- Provided FP&A support for the North American leadership. Owned a $20 million business improvement fund, evaluated business case, and partnered with cross-functional teams to deliver three times higher savings.
- Performed the analysis on a $9 billion annual investment of global product portfolio capital investments, resulting in a 14% spending reduction over a four-year period by rationalizing investments across product lines and countries.
- Managed the liquidity cash and short-fixed income portfolios ($16 billion in-house and $3 billion external assets), executed daily trading of the hundred million fixed-income securities, and facilitated cash management and equity-related tasks.
- Served as an operational finance lead in fuel cell collaboration with a major OEM that led to a commitment to the joint venture (JV). Helped build a business plan and prepare the JV's financial infrastructure.
SECOR Consulting (acquired by KPMG Canada)
- Collaborated with a COO of raw material (recycled plastic resin) company, selecting a suitable location, negotiating with local authorities, and recruiting the CEO, leading to the formation of the client's first factory in Asia worth $5 million.
- Managed a team of two analysts in advising an educational institution in building partnerships and launching a joint business course with a local university.
- Worked closely with a garment industry client to analyze supply chain costs and establish a supplier network in Asia.
Master's Degree in Business Administration (MBA)
University of Virginia, Darden School of Business - Charlottesville, VA
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering
Nanyang Technological University - Singapore
Certified Treasury Professional (CTP)
Association for Financial Professionals