Verified Expert in Finance
Amit is a highly successful, and sought-out financial advisor in M&A, debt and equity raising, and strategic finance deals totaling $35 billion. He established Standard Chartered's U.S. M&A business, and led Morgan Stanley's Indian FIG group, advising and mentoring companies, ranging from startups to MNCs, globally. Amit now independently advises a broad spectrum of clients on critical financial and business development initiatives.
- Provided independent advisory on financial management, capital raising and M&A transactions to clients and transactions in the $20 million to $500 million range.
- Engaged by clients to raise capital for an enterprise software startup ($20 million), a cross-border management buy-in in the infrastructure industry ($60 million), and the acquisition of a US home products company in bankruptcy ($220 million.).
- Assisted clients through the complete deal lifecycle - creation of marketing documents, modeling, due diligence, setting deal strategy, negotiation and closing.
- Advised clients on market entry and alliances across the globe, including the key international markets of Japan and India.
- Invested in and mentored startups in the eCommerce, business services, and capital equipment distribution spaces.
Head of US M&A
Standard Chartered Bank
- Set up the US M&A business for the bank focused on cross-border M&A and capital raising, including hiring and building out a team of five bankers.
- Advised clients on all aspects of their strategic initiatives related to the Americas including valuation, management and board presentations, marketing to investors, as well as negotiation and documentation.
- Joined six other members to start the South Asian M&A and leveraged finance business in an earlier sting with the bank. In the first full year of operations, the group topped the league table for cross-border M&A.
- Created bespoke structured debt solutions and financed multiple event-driven transactions including a $350 million real estate backed transaction and a $95 million mid-market cross-border acquisition.
- Created and participated on M&A and financing deals in the Americas, Asia, Europe and Africa in the technology, business services, industrials, consumer and mining sectors.
- Worked with top Asian and multi-national names including Tata Steel, Tata Motors, Tata Consultancy Services, the Sterling Group, Amcor, the Mahindra Group and the Birla Group.
- Engaged on several mandates including the $100 million sale of non-ferrous ore mine in Africa, $500 million capital raise for a new mobility company, and the $125 million carve-out and sale of a public specialty financial service company's Asian processing division.
Executive Director of Investment Banking
- Led the firm's financial institution coverage practice for the Indian market.
- Provided coverage for engineering, auto and auto component clients for the firm.
- Provided clients the perspective from and access to the firm's global advisory and financing platform during the challenging period of the global financial crisis of 2008-2009.
- Created new relationships for the firm in both financial institutions as well as industrial spaces.
Investment Banking Associate
- Provided support to the firm's M&A advisory business focused on mid-market deals.
- Oversaw and specialized in government privatization buy-side advisory counseling prominent clients in India on deals in the hospitality and metals industries.
- Negotiated certain financial arrangements of the deals (call and put, post-closing adjustments) that became market standard for privatization transactions in the market.
- Rotated and gained experience of equity capital market and bond trading.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) Degree in Finance and Marketing
XLRI Xavier School of Management - Jamshedpur, India
Bachelor of Engineering Degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Birla Institute of Technology - Ranchi, India
FINRA Series 79, 24, 63