Analyst2016 - 2019Standard General
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Credit Analysis, Leveraged Buyout Model, Capital Structure, Financial Modeling, Financial Restructuring, Valuation Analysis, Corporate Finance, Rollups, Stock Trading, Cash Flow Modeling, Technology Investments
- Led activist campaign for a multi-billion publicly traded advertising business that achieved a 30%+ IRR and was nominated to the company’s board of directors, helping to drive material corporate governance improvements.
- Sourced, analyzed, and led the investment process for $200+ million in long and short SaaS, media and consumer high-yield credit and equity positions, outperforming the market in aggregate.
- Sourced and invested in Answers.com via a negotiated distressed debt purchase. Participated in the restructuring of the business including the sale of the enterprise SaaS business Webcollage to Gladson, a U.K. buyer.
- Sourced, evaluated and led the negotiations for the purchase of other tobacco product companies as part of Turning Point Brands' (NYSE: TPB) $50 million M&A roll-up strategy.
- Assisted in a $100 million special purpose vehicle capital raise.
- Developed a network of CEOs, CFOs and board members across a broad number of technology, media, and consumer companies.
Managing Director2014 - 2016Claar Advisors
Focus areas: Public Equity, Private Equity, Growth Equity, Valuation Analysis, Financial Modeling, Startup Funding, Technology Investments
- Allocated and led analysis for $150 million in SaaS, media, and consumer-focused investments.
- Sourced, evaluated and executed numerous venture investments including transportation platform Lyft and an early-stage international tower communication platform.
- Sourced and led an investment in a payment technology platform, which became the fund's most substantial and best-performing asset.
- Created and implemented a bespoke investment tracking platform which was used to enhance investment performance and idea throughput.
- Built financial models to analyze the historical and projected impact of secular trends on portfolio companies’ financial performance.
Founder and Chief Investment Officer2009 - 2014Emys Capital
Focus areas: Capital Raising, Start Up Operations, Valuation Analysis, Business Development, Leadership, Communication, Investment Portfolio Management, Risk Analysis, Transaction Structuring
- Raised $10 million of seed capital in 2009, during one of the most challenging fundraising environments in recent history.
- Recruited and managed a team of five full-time employees and four consultants.
- Grew assets under management by 300% over three years via appreciation of the investment portfolio as well as new fundraising.
- Created and presented a financial model to potential seed investors, negotiated seed deal terms, structured transaction, and executed the necessary legal agreements.
- Led investments in technology, media and consumer sector which materially outperformed the market.
Associate2007 - 2009Merrill Lynch
Focus areas: IPOs, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Valuation Analysis, Leveraged Buyout Model, Corporate Finance, Financial Modeling, Capital Structuring
- Worked with high-growth SaaS company Archipelago Learning on a dual-track IPO and sale process.
- Advised Del Monte on the $360 million sale of Starkist Tuna to Dongwon of South Korea. This transaction was the largest consumer M&A deal of the year in South Korea.
- Worked with senior management and clients to analyze, structure, and execute mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, leveraged buyouts, sales, IPOs, and recapitalizations in the consumer sector.
- Assist BLB investors in a $500 million term loan add-on offering.
- Advised the sell-side process of Campbell Soup's subsidiary Godiva for $850 million.
Captain2000 - 2005US Army
Focus areas: Leadership, Predictive Analysis - Enemy Targeting, Aviation, Information Operations, Planning & Operations, Training, Communication, Aerospace & Defense, Strategy
- Oversaw 500 artillery rounds fired without friendly fire casualty, loss of any of 2,000 supported soldiers, or loss of supported aircraft whose value totaled an aggregate of $1.2 billion.
- Presented situational analysis concerning new techniques to integrate artillery and Army Attack Aviation to Lieutenant General Sanchez, the Commander of all ground forces in Iraq.
- Developed a proprietary, innovative targeting strategy and, as a Captain, was assigned to be a Brigade Fire Support Officer in Baghdad, Iraq, a position typically held by an officer with seven years more seniority.
- Led a team of over 100 soldiers on numerous training and live fire missions in Ft. Hood Texas and Baghdad, Iraq. As a result of the rigorous training implemented, my team suffered minimal casualties while accomplishing all of our mission objectives in Baghdad, Iraq.
- Awarded the Army Commendation Medal for meritorious service in the face of enemy attacks.