Berkeley, CA, United States
Member since September 19, 2016
August has been an independent consultant for the last decade, helping venture capital, private equity, and family office investors screen, evaluate, and support investments in clean energy technology, industrial technology, advanced materials, and biotech. Independent consulting provides the flexibility to be actively engaged with both family and community. August enjoys helping investors, corporate or private, evaluate investment opportunities.
- Managing Member2003 - PRESENTAugust Fern Consulting, LLC
Focus areas: Venture Funding, Due Dilligence, Financial Modeling
- Gained a decade of experience on long-term engagements with multiple venture capital firms focused on investments in energy and materials fields. Concurrent shorter engagements with private equity, family offices, angel investors, and corporate investors seeking expertise in early-stage technology investing.
- Screened thousands of investment opportunities. Performed due diligence on investments of potential interest to firm. Industries covered include clean energy, sustainable technologies, advanced materials, aerospace, automotive, and some biotech.
- Analyzed financial models, funding strategies and exit scenarios for both deals under consideration and portfolio companies. Developed financial models for investment and M&A opportunities.
- Conducted market research using primary and secondary sources in order to guide business decisions.
- Synthesized disparate sources and researched industries to write several business documents including private placement memoranda, blog posts, due diligence documents and investment memoranda.
- Manager - Business Automation1999 - 2001Utility.com
Focus areas: Project Management, Company Metrics, Process Design
- Led a team of project managers in the implementation of all systems. Spearheaded a project to define a sustainable process that addressed marketing, regulatory, customer service, operation, and technical issues.
- Recruited by the COO for a three-person team to rapidly implement organization and process changes across the company.
- Nominated by senior management to define and lead prioritization process for company. Facilitated discussions among management to decide on deployment of limited resources.
- Designed and implemented reporting mechanisms used as key metrics throughout the company.
- Was a key team member in a fast-paced internet startup through all phases of the company lifecycle.
- Consultant1997 - 1999Andersen Consulting (a.k.a. Accenture)
Focus areas: Utilities, Technology, Deregulation
- Worked on multiple projects for public utilities undergoing deregulation.
- Designed a financial system for a public utility to meet new retail sales requirements. Established relationships throughout the organization to identify business requirements and resolve organizational issues.
- Designed, built, and operated a new system for financial accounting of market transactions for a large deregulating California Public Utility.
- Performed organizational analysis for a utility operating in a new marketplace.
- Master's degree in Business Administration2001 - 2003Harvard Business School - Cambridge, MA
- Bachelor's degree in Nuclear Engineering and Materials Science1992 - 1997University of California at Berkeley - Berkeley, CA