Verified Expert in Finance
Axel has eight years of financial management experience working for PwC and Morgan Stanley, where he worked on $5 billion of debt, equity, and M&A transactions. He then served as CFO and COO of a high-growth tech company in East Africa, leading financing rounds, corporate restructuring and the spin-off of a key subsidiary. Axel enjoys freelancing to find challenging FP&A and fundraising projects where his skills can be leveraged.
CFO & COO
- Worked as part of the founding team, managed the spin-off process from Esoko Networks, including all the key workstreams such as structuring of the transaction, new company establishment, legal due diligence, and asset allocation.
- Led the execution of an $800,000 equity seed round, including the investor selection and meetings, due diligence process, and coordination of legal documentation and closing.
- Modeled and tested unit economics of different go-to-market strategies and determined which strategies to further test and implement.
- Analyzed data from our pilots in Ghana and Kenya from a quantitative and qualitative perspective, and made recommendations to the board based on the findings.
- Built Tulaa’s internal financial and operating models and made strategic recommendations to the leadership team and board of directors based on the results.
- Raised $2.4 million of new funding in the form of equity and grants for the business by managing the fundraising process from investor selection to due diligence and closing.
- Grew the revenue by 200% during 2016 and implemented new pricing structure for all of Esoko's products, taking a holistic view of the companies cost structure.
- Initiated and led a complete restructuring of the group, which resulted in $500,000 run-rate cost savings and a strategic refocus on three key regional markets and the eventual spin-off of the Tulaa business line.
- Created detailed financial and operating models to drive business strategy and presented key recommendations to the board.
- Implemented a cash flow management system that helped the company manage its resources effectively until the closing of the investment round.
Business Development Fellow
- Developed strategic partnerships with key partner organizations in San Francisco and the Bay Area, and enrolled 30+ new businesses into the program, helping them raise debt financing of $200,000.
- Developed an engagement strategy and marketing campaign for Oakland launch event in March 2016, including a direct mailing campaign co-sponsored by the Oakland mayor's office to 30,000 SMEs.
- Built the operating model for Kiva US—forecasting the growth from the various borrower channels and shaped the engagement strategy for the 2016 financial year.
- Led a $450 million inaugural debt raise of UK-based pension insurer, involving the creation of operating model to determine the adequate quantum of debt that could be supported, drafting of roadshow material, and industry and market analysis.
- Led the development of complex operating and LBO valuation models for the $290 million acquisition of mortgage specialist Kensington by Blackstone and TPG.
- Constructed financial models for a $740 million acquisition attempt of a German insurance company by a leading global insurance company and acted as the key point of contact for our client and the sell-side advisors during the buy-side due diligence.
- Built detailed financial models of insurance companies and projects, including a return analysis, a sensitivity analysis, risk assessment, and valuation.
- Covered a portfolio of 20+ leading insurance companies in Europe from a business development perspective and was the key point of contact for any specific analysis required by their CEO's offices.
- Performed controls and year-end audits on clients in the insurance industry (Life, GI, Lloyd's), with a client portfolio including Swiss Re, Ace, and Aviva.
- Was promoted to the team lead in my second year with the firm and was in charge of a life insurance subsidiary with revenues in excess of $30 million.
- Mapped and tested the entire Sarbanes-Oxley controls environment of a first-year audit client—reducing the substantive audit work to be performed by 25%.
Bachelor's Degree in Finance
Warwick Business School - Coventry, England
Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales