Benjamin Bryer, CFA
Verified Expert in Finance
A CFA charterholder with an MBA from NYU, Ben has more than 10 years of buy-side experience. Having worked in both institutional asset management (fixed income) and middle-market private equity, Ben has been involved with a wide variety of transactions. As a freelancer, Ben offers M&A advisory services to buy-side and sell-side clients, specializing in due diligence, financial modeling, valuation, and deal structuring.
Founder and Managing Partner
Highspire Holdings, LLC
- Constructed a bank buyout model to perform LBO analysis; determined that sponsor would need 38% multiple expansion to meet hurdle rate; concluded that the deal was not feasible since return projections did not justify the required multiple expansion.
- Led buy-side due diligence, including engagement of third-party advisors, for a potential $2.25 million acquisition; uncovered significant CAPEX requirements; the analysis was used in negotiations to support a proposed $450 million purchase price decrease (to $1.8 million).
- Built a dynamic LBO model with multiple pro forma operating and financing scenarios to evaluate a potential $4 million buyout; the model was used to produce insights that supported financing and transaction agreement negotiations.
Main Line Equity Partners
- Responsible for deal sourcing, due diligence, valuation, financial modeling, financing, closing, and portfolio company management.
- Performed valuation analysis on potanital acquisition targets using public company comparables, precedent transactions, DCF, and LBO methodologies.
- Conceptualized and led the execution of operationally-focused value creation initiatives.
- Created investment memoranda, including teasers, internal investment committee memos, and lender presentations.
Credit Research Associate, Structured Finance
Vanguard Group, Inc.
- Directed the fundamental credit review of asset-backed security (ABS) transactions; collaborated with portfolio managers and traders to manage the $19 billion ABS position held across Vanguard’s active and index fixed income portfolios.
- Constructed detailed, transaction-specific financial models to perform cash flow analysis on ABS deals in the primary and secondary markets.
- Invested in transactions sponsored by companies in a wide variety of industries and collateralized by both traditional and highly-esoteric assets, such as coin-counting kiosks, tugboats, and franchised quick-service restaurant royalties.
Credit Research Associate, Investment Grade Corporate Credit
- Generated in-depth fundamental credit research on issuers within the insurance, banking, and asset management sectors; supported senior analysts, portfolio managers, and traders on the investment grade team.
- Built, maintained, and managed financial models used to facilitate new deal analysis, monitor current holdings, and generate company-specific and sector-level relative value recommendations.
- Conducted scenario analysis and ad-hoc research projects on topical issues.
Master's Degree in Business Administration (MBA)
NYU Stern School of Business - New York, NY
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration
University of Richmond - Richmond, VA
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)