On-Demand Deal and Strategy Advisor
For Clients Executing M&A | Real Estate Acquisitions | Capital-Raises
2014 - PRESENT
- Helped a client who was interested in purchasing a 390-unit apartment complex in Bowling Green, KY with a current ask of $45 million. Used TTM results to create flexible, assumptions-driven, five-year monthly, discounted cash flow and valuation model and crafted investment teaser to help facilitate $13 million equity capital-raise. Worked with broker and client to review operating expenses and bridge value gap.
- Developed a user-friendly, three-case, assumptions-driven, five-year monthly LBO model for a Boston-based PE firm to replace its “buggy” legacy model.
- Prepared a market study for a Boston-based PE firm; it was an assessment of a pending acquisition of $13.6 million niche manufacturing company: i) fundamentals and drivers of its primary product markets, ii) market sizing and market potential, and iii) competitive landscape. The PE firm closed the acquisition in April 2017.
- Prepared a market-based corporate valuation for an aerospace client’s senior leadership team and advised them on capital-raising alternatives—ranging from junior capital to private equity.
- Helped a VC firm to evaluate a potential Series B round investment in a leading bike sharing company by bring an unbiased view: i) determined the market sizing and growth rates for specific market segments, ii) built a fact-base on the current U.S. market, and iii) prepared detailed summaries for key players and the competitive landscape. The VC firm subsequently led $10 multi-million Series B investment.
- Helped a rapidly growing, consumer services SaaS company which was seeking to raise a new round of financing; its CFO had recently quit, and they did not have a current financial model it could share with potential investors. Restructured and upgraded a legacy model by adding: i) rolling forecast capabilities and ii) a scenario-planning functionality for its human capital and sales forecasting processes. Acquired by Dick's Sporting Goods in November 2016.
- Conducted a primary research market study for a private equity-backed Latin American packaging entrepreneur to determine the market feasibility for building a new US plastic waste recycling facility.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Strategy Consulting, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Corporate Development, Investment Banking, Financial Modeling, Valuation, Real Estate Finance, Capital Raising, Transaction Due Diligence
KEB Investment Banking | Ravinia Capital LLC
2011 - 2014
- Pitched the sale of an analytical instruments company.
- Arranged a working capital revolver for an investor-backed manufacturer and marketer of niche sporting goods products.
- Marketed a JV equity capital-raise to help fund a $26.5 multi-million acquisition of a 596-unit multi-family property in Milwaukee, WI.
- Executed the buy-side M&A engagement for a PE firm seeking to add on bakery business acquisitions for companies with sales between $3 million and $25 million.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Capital Raising, Real Estate Finance
Director of Strategy and Business Development
2007 - 2010
- Drove M&A and corporate strategy initiatives for a $1.6 billion global food packaging business.
- Led cross-functional teams in very structured and rigorous annual strategic planning process for 6 businesses, ranging in size from $15 million to $630 million in sales.
- Conducted a quarterly benchmarking study to evaluate the sector performance relative to five publicly-traded competitors and inform the business units about significant threats/opportunities in their respective markets.
Focus areas: Corporate Development, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Strategic Planning
2006 - 2007
- Performed primary and secondary research market studies to generate important insights in support of investment decisions by private equity firms.
- Engaged by the Carlyle Group to evaluate the revenue and earnings stability of a specialty chemicals and engineered materials company, which Carlyle subsequently acquired for $1.5 billion.
Focus areas: Primary Research, Transaction Due Diligence, Secondary Research
Founder | Managing Director
Skills-Drills Media, LLC | Hudson Project Management
2001 - 2006
- Founded an educational publishing company to help close the learning gap for inner-city students.
- Developed the product, test-piloted program, became an approved vendor of Chicago Public Schools, and secured a licensing deal with the Chicago Bears.
- Executed project-based consulting assignments to help fund the development of entrepreneurial venture.
- Identified and evaluated middle-market M&A opportunities on behalf of Illinois Tool Works (ITW). Analyzed private equity firm portfolios to assess fit with acquisition criteria. Screened more than 3,000 companies and wrote more than 150 analyses—resulting in discussions of interest with 5 candidates.
- Worked as a member of a 25-person Enron bankruptcy consulting team tasked to investigate 165 questionable financial transactions. Performed forensic accounting on eight critical transactions that showed Enron had employed more than $400 million in questionable accounting entries related to how it treated debt, income, and cash flow.
Focus areas: Entrepeneurship, Management Consulting
Senior Strategy Consultant
Cap Gemini Ernst & Young U.S. LLC
1999 - 2001
- Participated with the engagement teams and executed work streams in the development of growth strategies for Fortune 1000 companies.
Focus areas: Strategy Consulting
Acme Manufacturing Company
1995 - 1997
- Advised the senior management team and helped execute the financial and operational turnaround of a middle-market, capital equipment manufacturer with annual sales of $20 million.
Focus areas: Capital Raising, Project Management, Performance Improvement
Associate | Financial Analyst
Bank of America | Continental Bank
1990 - 1995
- Performed financial modeling, industry research, and transaction due diligence in support of credit decisions for leveraged finance, corporate restructuring, and real estate finance transactions.
- Learned complex cash flow modeling and valuation techniques structuring buyout and recap transactions for leading private equity sponsors—Clayton Dubilierr & Rice, The Blackstone Group, Morgan Stanley Venture Partners, Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe, and Richmont Holdings Investments.
- Began my career in Continental Bank’s Real Estate Capital Markets Group during a down cycle and gained valuable industry and underwriting experience in all major property types. As an analyst, I wrote offering materials and helped arrange over $100 million of debt financing for five multi-family and two retail properties, including four controlled by Sam Zell.
- Participated in a complex, multi-creditor corporate restructuring of California's largest privately-held homebuilder.
Focus areas: Real Estate Finance, Corporate Restructuring, Leveraged Finance