Brian R. Walby
Verified Expert in Finance
With a PhD from the University of Michigan, Brian has worked for major international consulting firms, including PricewaterhouseCoopers, Mercer HR Consulting, and SullivanCotter, consulting on over 1,000 projects for more than 300 companies over 20 years. He's also worked in corporate environments like TRW Automotive, a Fortune 1000 company. Brian has consulted for over 75 clients with his own firm and joined Toptal to help clients navigate complex HR issues.
Walby and Associates
- Consulted with over 75 clients on over 200 projects, all of which were completed successfully with high quality, on time, and all invoices paid.
- Consulted within almost every primary sector of the economy, including manufacturing, technology, business services, nonprofits, healthcare, and finance.
- Developed a comprehensive career and paid path framework for an engineering services company. Established recommendations for succession planning program revisions.
- Served as 2-month interim director of executive compensation for an $8 billion manufacturer. Developed plant-level skill-based pay step structure and a career progression program for the client.
- Developed a pay and progression framework for all national retail jobs for an auto parts distributor. Built total direct pay and public proxy analysis for a CEO's litigation case.
- Established, reviewed, and revised a total compensation and benefits program for a large public foundation.
Director | Global Compensation
- Developed a major sales compensation program for more than 500 professionals within 25 countries and across all major divisions.
- Created new annual and long-term incentive compensation plans that impacted over 10,000 employees at 110 operations sites in 20 countries.
- Revised existing employee compensation plans and pay structures within North America, Asia, Japan and China, and various European countries.
- Reviewed compensation and car policies with the U.S for over 1,000 employees. Saved $17 million in upgraded incentive performance plan metrics.
Principal | Detroit Office Compensation Consulting Services
- Settled new policies and practices for client satisfaction, project quality, and timeliness. Launched and notably expanded the scope of compensation and organizational development service offerings to more subspecialties and new client sectors.
- Directed a major six-month project for all pre and post-initial public offering (IPO) executive compensation consulting services for a $12 billion corporation.
- Managed a sizeable four-month client project to develop an executive leadership competency model and overall program for the CEO and all vice presidents that would impact executive compensation planning for a large public university.
- Completed various executive, sales, and employee compensation projects as well as organizational and career development programs for various small to mid-sized business services, manufacturing, distribution, and startup companies.
Director | Midwest Compensation Consulting Services
- Quadrupled Detroit's office compensation consulting practice revenue in four years, expanding our client focus to almost every economic sector, broadening consulting services focus to all compensation and organizational development areas.
- Took on a consulting project director role from another consultant for a troubled company-wide compensation restructuring project of a $3 billion corporation, resulting in expanded project scope, on-time completion, and 100% satisfaction by the CEO.
- Directed and completed more than 500 compensation and organizational development projects successfully, with over 200 clients across all major economic sectors on time, within budget, and with the highest possible client evaluations.
Doctorate Degree in Career and Organizational Development
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Certified Compensation Professional
World At Work