Verified Expert in Finance
Bruce is a non-executive director and angel investor based in London. After working as a fund manager for many years, he now helps growing companies in all industries with strategy, financial management, and fundraising. Bruce has assisted numerous early-stage and growth-stage companies in crafting their strategy, financial plan, and messaging to raise millions from institutional investors and angels. He also helped them to access debt financing and avoid additional equity dilution.
- Helped prepare Echobox for a fundraising process, including the strategic review of the business, building the financial model, and constructing the pitch deck. Introduced the company to its lead investor, leading to a GBP 2.5 million raise.
- Assisted Smile 2 Impress, a leading Spanish direct-to-consumer orthodontics company, in preparing for a EUR 30 million fundraising process. Helped with corporate strategy, financial planning, and identifying key hires in its target geographies.
- Assisted Skara Holdings Ltd with getting a 1 million acquisition and development loan for the purchase of the Albyn in Aberdeen, Scotland. Subsequently, helped them to get a 2.1 million loan to acquire the Bieldside Pub.
- Raised GBP 12 million in equity over three rounds from institutions and angel investors around the world, constructing the pitch deck and financial model used to support the capital raise.
- Led the formulation of the five-year strategic operating plan, working closely with the board of directors.
- Authored the corporate finance strategy, which led to the pursuit of debt financing options and a raise of $300,000 low-cost borrowing to finance growth.
- Sourced and managed relationships with various Eastern European software development providers to help the firm's IT department to scale faster and more cost-effectively.
- Assisted the company with upgraded accounting and control within the finance function.
Life & Soul Pictures
- Created fundraising materials and built financial models for guiding the business and forecasting various scenarios.
- Raised over one million in development finance for various projects, including "Heart of a Soldier," written by an Oscar-winning writer.
- Raised 200,000 in debt financing for general working capital for the production company at competitive terms.
- Wrote story treatments for numerous film and TV projects.
- Provided outsourced film and TV development services to other production companies and mini-majors.
- Assisted the company in formulating strategy and mapping out the first financial statements and forecasts at the idea stage.
- Prepared fundraising materials, including pitch deck, financial forecasts, business plan, and legal documents.
- Reached out to my investor network and reached out to new investors, singlehandedly raising the majority of a 1 million equity round that closed in early 2022.
Partner and Portfolio Manager
- Produced top decile returns and never underperformed the benchmark as a portfolio manager on a $200 million fund.
- Researched over 400 stocks in the Eastern Europe universe and managed a team of analysts.
- Marketed the funds globally, leading to a capital raise of $375+ million from the top 25 US endowments and foundations, US and EU family offices, and sovereign wealth funds.
- Interacted daily with management teams in Russian and English.
- Evaluated and led diligence for private equity deals on behalf of our core investor.
- Conducted fundamental research, including meeting management, constructing discounted cash flow models, and creating company desk notes for a universe of 350+ listed equities in Russia and the former Soviet Union.
- Managed the $200 million Kazimir Russia Growth Fund, a long-only Russian equities fund.
- Returned cumulative +30.1% net vs RTS Index -31.9% (Class A shares). Ranked #1 in the peer group of Russian managers and funds from July 2006 to July 2009.
- Marketed the fund to global institutional clients, with a focus on US endowments and foundations.
- Managed a team of analysts and the creation of a research IT system.
Master's Degree in Political Economy
London School of Economics and Political Science - London, England
Bachelor's Degree in Economics
University of Chicago - Chicago, Illinois