Verified Expert in Finance
A CFA Charterholder, Caitlin has an extensive background providing financial planning and analysis to Fortune 500 companies in the insurance and insurance brokerage industry. She is proficient in process design for regulatory and financial compliance and identifying strategic initiatives that boost revenue through financial analysis. She enjoys freelancing because it gives a greater degree of flexibility and a variety of assignments.
Arthur J Gallagher & Co
- Designed and built a monthly process to report $300 million of annual direct bill revenue to comply with FASB changes to revenue recognition requirements. The “old GAAP” process for this portion of revenue simply reported revenue when it was received, while the “new GAAP” process required revenue recognition at policy inception with varying percentages deferred over the life of the insurance policy it related to. Educated the CFO, regional finance leaders, SOX compliance officers, and local analysts on the new process and implementation.
- Performed analysis to identify $100 million of revenue opportunity, which resulted in the implementation of several successful initiatives. Reported on the results of these initiatives each month to the CEO and his team.
- Became known as the go-to resource when data needs arise. Provided data and consultation to nearly all areas of the organization, including senior leadership, producers, branch managers, marketing teams, sourcing & procurement, and niche specialists. The data and consultation provided were used to win new business, retain existing business, improve commission rates, enhance market relations, identify underperforming segments, understand new and lost business, and inform decision makers on facts as opposed to anecdotes.
- Coached analysts to overcome challenges by utilizing an analytical framework: understand the relevance of the problem being presented, ask questions and gather facts related to the problem, make hypotheses of the root cause, gather and organize the data, analyze the data without bias, form a conclusion, and present the findings in a logical format that the audience can take action on.
- Worked with IT on the migration from Cognos to SSAS reporting, including data structuring, data validation, implementing new measures, integrating new data sources, designing new reports, and ongoing maintenance.
- Used the new data warehouse to create global financial reporting, providing data the organization had never seen before. Reporting was created at the highest and lowest hierarchical levels, providing global data to the CEO/CFO as well as local data to the branch managers.
Senior Financial Analyst
Allstate Insurance Company
- Worked closely with the Casualty Vice President (Claims) on various projects including how the Affordable Care Act would impact medical care costs and what could be done to mitigate the impact, modeling changes to claims payouts following legislation changes in Florida, and identifying the costs associated with changes in treatment patterns including increased frequencies and durations of treatment.
- Responsible for planning, forecasting, reporting, analysis, ad hoc requests, and special project work for various specialty insurance product lines including Renters, Condo, Landlords, Manufactured Homes, and Umbrella.
- Gave presentations to management including weekly sales updates, monthly figure reviews, and quarterly financial updates.
Bachelor's Degree in Finance
Loyola University Chicago - Chicago, Illinois, USA
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)