Rockville, MD, United States
Member since March 26, 2017
Chris has launched startups creating $50 million in value and restructured organizations to realize $20 million in annual savings. He has held senior finance roles at public and private companies in the marketing, consumer products, and live entertainment spaces. With 25+ years of experience in identifying and implementing operating strategies to grow profits and enterprise value, Chris continues to add value in challenging situations.
- Managing Partner2017 - PRESENTNavigare Advisory Partners
Focus areas: Strategic Finance Management, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Operations Finance, P&L Forecasting, Cash Flow Forecasting, Profitability Optimization
- Founded Navigare Advisory Partners to provide strategic services to middle market clients. Quickly built a robust multi-service practice with clients across the US.
- Built financial models and pitch decks for external fundraising, resulting in achievement of investment goals of startup medical/retail operation within 6 months of project launch.
- Led exercise to identify opportunities for growth and resource requirements needed to execute for a $35 million live entertainment promoter; resulted in 3-year plan to double profits with a reduced risk profile.
- Created an efficient and lower risk legal and tax structure for start-up to minimize owner tax liabilities and personal risk. Led multi-discipline team with company leaders, accountants, and legal team to determine optimal structure.
- Led assessment of acquisition opportunities for private equity group in the data modeling and omni-channel marketing space. Sourced potential targets and led company/market assessments.
- President2007 - 2016Direct Holdings Global
Focus areas: Financial Management, Product Development and Marketing, Operational Leadership, Strategic Planning, Market Research, Market Opportunity Analysis, Organization Development
- Directed all aspects of privately held $100 million entertainment marketing organization with 60+ employees.
- Led bottom-up strategic plan to identify areas for growth, leading to $50 million increase in enterprise value through identification and exploitation of adjacent market opportunities.
- Launched two new divisions, resulting in annual revenue of $50+ million as well as a reduction of overall risk and revenue seasonality.
- Identified and implemented organization restructuring opportunities to reduce expenses and improve productivity.
- Led business transformation from single-channel marketing to fully integrated omni-channel model.
- Chief Financial Officer2003 - 2007Direct Holdings Worldwide
Focus areas: Strategic Planning, Budgeting, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Treasury
- Directed all business planning and analyses across multiple business lines.
- Identified and led exploitation of synergy opportunities in finance, human resources, and operations.
- Led the complex disaggregation of all systems, facilities, benefits, and processes to establish stand-alone enterprise.
- Reduced annual fixed costs by $20 million, improving overall effectiveness through strategic outsourcing.
- Drove debt portfolio restructuring to gain operating room during subsidiary turnaround.
- Led restructuring of underperforming business line, ultimately leading to sale to strategic buyer.
- Chief Financial Officer1999 - 2003Time Life, Inc.
Focus areas: Strategic Planning, Budgeting, Accounting Management, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A)
- Led all financial personnel operating in Europe, Asia, Australia and Latin America.
- Prepared annual budgets and forecasts while leading operations reviews across all entities.
- Successfully led the sale of the business from Time, Inc. to private equity group to position the company for future growth.
- Led analysis and execution plan for the shutdown of unprofitable book publishing business. Maximized asset run-out while minimizing shutdown expenses.
- Led M&A analysis, resulting in acquisition of a direct marketing business in Mexico and English language education business in Japan.
- Principles of Organizational Design and Optimization: Lessons From The Great Recession (Publication)In 2006, Ford Motor Company’s losses came in at a staggering $12.7 billion; but four years later, profits had rebounded to $6.6 billion. At around the same time, Carlos Brito’s “one firm, one culture” optimization policy delivered $2.3 billion in synergies, exceeding pre-merger projections for Anheuser-Busch’s combination with InBev by 50%. Both Ford and AB InBev’s CEOs achieved these results by adeptly applying the principles of organizational optimization—concepts explored by Toptal Finance Restructuring Expert, Christopher Hearing, in this article.
- Master's degree in Business Administration - Finance1985 - 1987University of Maryland - Maryland
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration - Operations Research1980 - 1984Villanova University - Pennsylvania