Christopher M Collins
Verified Expert in Finance
Christopher possesses 10+ years of financial and investing experience across public markets, private equity, credit, and venture capital. He has recently focused on working with startups, helping them identify critical growth and profitability levers. He brings his financial and operational skillset to the Toptal network, where he helps emerging companies deliver capital-efficient expansion and raise the funds they need to accelerate growth.
- Built the company's first financial model to help with internal projections and fundraising efforts.
- Created market sizing analysis through a bottoms-up approach, including research relevant to Funday's business model.
- Leading fundraising efforts for Funday's initial round.
- Built Funday's website, including eCommerce functionality.
- Helped create a regulatory playbook to introduce business models to city officials and launch pilots.
- Supported Trove Social, a hospitality startup focused on the elderly, with market research that resulted in a business model pivot and the company raising a $2.5 million seed round led by a top-tier VC.
- Helped to launch Human Ventures Fund I, a $50 million venture capital fund, driving portfolio construction, creating the investor deck, and selecting third-party vendors for the fund's operations.
- Developed critical fund processes, including investment process, sourcing strategy, and evaluation criteria.
- Helped to refine the company building process, including ideation, validation, and creation stages. Helped build 10+ companies from scratch, three of which have raised institutional seed rounds thus far.
- Supported Clark, a leading education technology company supporting tutors, by building a new financial model for their business model pivot from consumer to B2B. This helped them increase revenue by over 300% and led them to get acquired by Noodle, a large player in the space.
Flat World Partners
- Sourced and evaluated impact investments into startups across all sectors and geographies while helping create the due diligence process for companies and funds from scratch.
- Evaluated and executed investments in Andela, OpenInvest, and Nowsta, two of whom have gone on to raise multiple rounds of follow-on funding.
- Created relationships with impact investing funds across asset classes and conduct due diligence; attended events and conferences to promote Flat World’s presence in the impact investing landscape.
- Assisted in the development of Flat World’s proprietary impact measurement tool to score fund managers and startups. The project has since spun out into its own company.
- Served as the interim CFO, assisted with the creation of the pitch deck, and facilitated investor introductions for Root, an AgTech startup.
MBA Summer Intern
- Analyzed credit structure and performed due diligence of trade finance and term loan deals in Africa and Latin America.
- Led the deal process for investments in a rice distributor in Kenya and a sardine exporter in Ecuador.
- Created investment memos and presented recommendations to the investment committee.
- Monitored financial performance of portfolio companies based on loan term conditions and covenants.
- Sourced investment partners in Asia and Africa.
MBA Investment Analyst
Tau Investment Management
- Created the financial model, including capabilities for scenario analysis as well as various industry-related performance metrics, which was used to value garment factories in multiple countries in Southeast Asia.
- Conducted research focused on potential financial inclusion partner organizations for factory workers in Bangladesh, Indonesia, and Vietnam.
- Produced report outlining challenges and alternatives to implementing effective partnerships.
- Identified potential cost-cutting measures for factories in Southeast Asia.
MBA Summer Analyst
Impact Investment Group
- Created a sector map for the Australian education industry, identifying key investment opportunities in early childhood/continuing education companies.
- Modeled returns sensitivity under various scenarios for a $16 million wind farm trust in response to investor inquiries, resulting in $100,000 in new investments.
- Created pitch deck materials for fundraising purposes and helped organized events for potential investors.
- Evaluated early-stage investments in the recycling sector.
- Hired as the first full-time outside employee at a multi-family office focused on high net worth clients based in Latin America.
- Helped the firm scale from less than $50 million in assets under management to $450+ million.
- Researched equities and bonds, assisted with portfolio allocation, and created internal investment processes.
- Created pitch decks and annual and ad-hoc portfolio reports for clients, saving the company $100,000 by bringing design in-house.
- Evaluated vendors and learned design skills to improve website and pitch deck material.
Portfolio Administration Analyst
- Worked closely with sales and portfolio management teams to ensure the efficiency of accounts through openings, closings, contributions, and subscriptions.
- Led the initiative to streamline portfolio management by reducing outstanding foreign trading requests by 50%+ and adding missing trading details for 20+ international markets.
- Represented the New York City operations department as the main point of contact with critical stakeholders.
- Reconciled institutional investment accounts with custodians.
- Promoted to the account transitions team.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Finance & Entrepreneurial Management
University of Pennsylvania - The Wharton School - Philadelphia
Bachelor's Degree in Economics
University of Virginia - Charlottesville
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)