Verified Expert in Finance
Craig has raised $100 million+ in debt and equity for companies seeking to grow, restructure, or exit. His unique combination of operational experience and financial expertise across industries gives him a 360-degree perspective to approach client situations and provide creative solutions for financial needs. After working as a finance executive or direct hire since 2004, he transitioned to freelancing in 2018 to leverage his vast range of interests and desire to expand his geographic reach.
$30 Million Equity Raise for a Growth Company
- Advised the owner of a specialty contractor in the sale of the business to a key employee; worked with seller and buyer to develop a creative structure to meet the unique objectives of both parties, ultimately preserving the company legacy.
- Served as the head of finance for a waste hauling business; completed a $30 million equity raise, including finding a PE investor and leading all financial due diligence. Oversaw all financial aspects of integrating five acquisitions post-financing.
- Consulted to an early-stage training services business: developed the chart of accounts, the website and integrated eCommerce platform, and the first online training course; assisted in due diligence, which led to the sale of the company.
- Assisted an automation company in raising mezzanine debt: prepared all lender reporting (e.g., rolling 13-week cash flow, income statement, and balance sheet commentary) and developed KPIs to assist with tracking business progress toward the budget.
- Assisted a technology retail franchisee to prepare for a meeting with the franchisor to pitch a merger with another franchisee: analyzed data, worked with ownership to develop the strategy, and drafted the presentation to address franchisor concerns.
- Conducted an exit audit for numerous closely-held businesses, assisting clients with understanding the potential value of their business and how ready they were for the sale process.
- Facilitated personal and business envisioning workshops for numerous closely-held businesses, assisting business owners with understanding their personal goals and then developing an integrated business strategy to achieve those goals.
- Oversaw all financial aspects of the business, including reporting, analysis, forecasting, strategy, process improvement, investor relations, and bank relations.
- Led and closed debt and equity financings, including negotiation and structuring of covenant packages and other key terms and conditions; negotiated subsequent modifications as required.
- Developed materials and co-presented at board meetings for the company and for family office boards.
- Ran all acquisition activities for the company, including the successful acquisition of an Orlando-based firm.
- Managed all IT investments, including implementation of the new ERP software package and Salesforce.com.
Vice President and Business Development Officer
Quantum Ventures of Michigan
- Executed and oversaw family office investments, including the purchase, sale, and nurturing of portfolio businesses and real estate investments. Helped shepherd multiple divestments through close, including two industrial sale-leasebacks.
- Reviewed hundreds of investment opportunities and successfully invested in several plastics, construction, and debt collection businesses.
- Handled ad hoc projects, including an advisory assignment to assist in a $500 million+ sale of a technology company; served as the unofficial CFO through the entire sale process.
General Manager and Director of Operations
Clinton River Medical Products
- Served as the day-to-day leader of the company, from concept to reality, with an achievable path to profitability.
- Worked with the chairman from the earliest stage to analyze a multimillion-dollar IP acquisition in the durable medical equipment industry; supported the negotiation of the license agreement and deal closing that resulted in the company’s birth.
- Authored the original business plan and subsequent updates, which drove the implementation of hiring, product development, sales and marketing, supply chain, production, quality, regulatory compliance, and finance plans.
- Joined the company as employee #1 and subsequently hired all employees (10+) in engineering, purchasing, sales and marketing, and operations; conducted performance reviews, promotions, and terminations as required.
- Managed a $1 million+ project to redevelop Tailwind's power-assist wheelchair technology for market acceptability, replacement of obsolete components, and building a competitive global supply chain.
- Negotiated international distributorship agreements for Tailwind in UK, Ireland, France, and the Netherlands.
- Established and implemented a global sales and marketing plan, including online marketing, SaaS tools like HubSpot and Salesforce.com, trade show attendance, rehab hospital education, dealer incentives, and building a distribution network.
- Led the effort to forge a partnership with the largest wheelchair manufacturer in Asia (ex-Japan) for the supply/license of Tailwind technology in Asia and distribution rights for their high-end products in North America.
- Won a Veterans Administration contract award with better-than-expected financial terms.
MBA Management Development Program, Automotive Aftermarket Division
- Took part in a two-year MBA rotational program, encompassing three to six-month stints in various functional departments.
- Spearheaded a continuous improvement process to improve supply chain coordination between the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
- Led the North American launch of a new tire changer and wheel balancer line. This included coordinating the sell-down of old inventory with the sales group, pricing new products, and working with the supplier in Italy to ensure delivery and quality.
- Co-managed the on-time, glitch-free, $25 million Valvoline oil and air filter launch.
- Created a performance dashboard for a brake pad manufacturing facility in Juarez, Mexico, in collaboration with the business unit leadership team to drive business unit improvements.
- Analyzed the North American car-sharing market to determine the implications for Bosch.
- Supported the M&A team with market and financial analysis of prospective target companies.
Director of Supply Chain
- Oversaw the supply chain, from raw materials selection to customer order fulfillment, for startup wood toy company.
- Identified, selected, and managed all vendors outside of Honduras: qualified vendors, conducted RFPs, negotiated pricing and credit, maintained vendor accountability, coordinated shipping, and implemented supplier quality measures.
- Led a project to find a better raw material supplier for the most expensive input, resulting in over 25% cost savings.
- Worked with the Honduras team to create an inventory and order management system to minimize production disruptions.
- Designed the company's initial supply chain strategy, including initiating relationships and managing RFPs with raw material and capital equipment suppliers, contract manufacturers, and shipping companies.
- Explored technical feasibility and gathered cost estimates for multiple product concepts to help build the business plan.
- Joined the company as the first non-founding employee after completing a management internship the previous summer.
Strategy & Special Projects Manager
- Performed analysis and advised the CEO of a metal stamping company on financial, strategic, and managerial issues. This included financial forecasting, managing commodity volatility, and prioritizing the CEO's workflow.
- Designed and implemented a CRM system, including the creation of an automated, Excel-based quote module with Visual Basic.
- Managed ongoing coordination and analysis of new business opportunities, resulting in a five-fold increase in proposal throughput.
- Identified, analyzed, and advised Ralco on a valuation and bid for an $8 million metal stamping company.
- Led a project to identify a suitable location to build a new stamping plant in the southeastern United States. Considerations included geography, quality of life, local workforce characteristics, and financial incentives.
- Coordinated and led a seven-member team in Ralco’s first corporate strategic planning effort.
Analyst, Restructuring & Reorganization Advisory
The Blackstone Group
- Conducted financial analyses and prepared presentations for use in advising distressed and bankrupt corporations in the restructuring and reorganization of their businesses.
- Advised The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company on restructuring alternatives; assisted in the construction of an integrated global business model capable of running scenarios to simulate multiple operational and financial restructurings.
- Analyzed the potential stock price impact of different settlement scenarios related to asbestos claims against a publicly traded chemical company.
Summer Analyst, Industrial & Natural Resources Investment Banking Group
- Implemented various financial analysis techniques to value corporations and determine the effects of mergers and acquisitions for clients.
- Prepared a presentation of potential targets for a multinational industrial company, which was presented to the CEO.
- Assisted with presentation materials related to a multibillion-dollar debt capital raise for a storied American industrial company.
MBA in Business Administration
MIT Sloan School of Management - Cambridge, MA, USA
Bachelor's Degree (BBA) in Business Administration
University of Michigan, Ross School of Business - Ann Arbor, MI, USA
General Course in Economics and Government
London School of Economics and Political Science - London, England
Certified Exit Planning Advisor (CEPA)
Exit Planning Institute
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring