Verified Expert in Finance
Management Consulting Expert
Dan is a seasoned advisor and consultant. He spent 10+ years in the strategy practices of Booz Allen Hamilton and BearingPoint, serving Fortune 1000 clients. Dan has held founding roles at five startups, including CEO, COO, and product and strategy leadership. He is the founder and president of Business Advisory Network, which advises leadership teams on strategic and operational topics. Dan authored and monetized several software patents and holds an MBA from Columbia Business School.
Business Case Analysis and Funding Strategy: Hardware vs. Software
Business Advisory Network
- Provided advisory services and interim and fractional chief experience officer (CXO) staffing to privately held companies.
- Oversaw the product strategy of a medical device as it evolved from MVP hardware to an integrated solution and then to an AI diagnostic software.
- Led the product definition and development of a SaaS audio platform used for professional-grade remote recording sessions.
- Managed the intellectual property of a startup, expanding a single patent into a family by authoring several continuations. Identified and realized monetization opportunities from patent infringement.
- Played key roles in securing multiple rounds of venture funding for several companies.
- Led product definition and FDA clearance for a software-only diagnostic medical device.
- Supported the founder of a social venture incubator in institutionalizing capabilities and eliminating reliance on individuals, thus enabling succession planning.
Head of Strategy and Special Projects, Board Member
- Advised the co-founders of a global women's health company from kitchen table to international market presence. Advised on everything from funding strategy to team building to product definition.
- Supported product strategy informing everything from hardware and software definition to pricing model. Supported and advised on issues related to machine-learning-based diagnostics.
- Led strategic finance, including pro-forma financials and pricing; worked closely with a controller on financial reporting and investor materials.
- Helped co-founders secure multiple funding rounds, including negotiation support, cap table analysis, projections, and pitch deck writing. Raised approximately $26 million.
- Integrated the board from the company's formation in 2012 until 2020.
CEO and Founder
- Led the development of a SaaS offering enabling professional quality recording of remote artists, like artist in-home studios and production teams in another city. Managed all aspects of the product, from value proposition to features to pricing.
- Spearheaded and raised an A Round of approximately $800,000.
- Wrote and prosecuted a family of patents building on the work of the product's inventor, ultimately selling the patent portfolio for significant realized gains.
- Guided B2B market entry, building awareness and proselytizing to key user bases.
Co-founder, COO, Board Member
- Worked with the co-founder, an ophthalmologist, to define a software-only medical device based on a licensed patent, including all aspects of product definition, such as functionality and pricing.
- Oversaw the product development team and FDA approval process.
- Built the business infrastructure on an as-needed basis: financial forecasts, budgeting, etc.
- Led the funding strategy from boot-strap to Series B, raising approximately $2.6 million. Collaborated closely with the co-founder on all aspects of the negotiation, preparing and managing all supporting materials, including pro-forma and cap table.
- Co-authored two patents building on the company's original offering and shepherded them through the USPTO.
Director, Telecom and Content Strategy
- Led the strategy team focusing on opportunity assessment, business cases, and product definition for telecom and media clients.
- Built business cases and proforma financials for over-the-top telephony and broadband services. Provided ongoing support to product owner through launch.
- Assessed an MVNO (white-label cellular reseller) opportunity for a service provider.
SVP, Internal Development, and Strategy
Global Wireless Holdings
- Led the assessment of service offerings and geographic markets for a wireless data platform.
- Managed the hardware and software product assessment portfolio.
- Devised B-2-B-2-C service offering for stolen car recovery in Argentina, demonstrating that insurance companies could profitably offer 100% subsidy of installation through discounts.
Booz Allen Hamilton
- Led dozens of consulting projects serving Fortune 1000 companies, with a focus on telecom and tech industries. Functional topics included opportunity assessment, operational assessment and remediation, and business planning.
- Assessed fledgling DVR makers like TiVo and Replay for acquisition by consumer electronics multinationals.
- Negotiated in-vehicle navigation systems, including GPS, mapping and routing, and dispatch for major telecom providers.
- Invented and prototyped a modeling technique to quantify the impact on a 500+ stock-keeping unit (SKU) product line of shifts in color and design.
- Overhauled the advertising sales compensation structure to shift focus from unit volume to unit price.
- Designed and implemented a systematic process for prioritizing research and development spending at telecom equipment manufacturers based on portfolio targets.
Founding Director, Marketing and Sales
- Wrote the initial business plan for a ground-breaking international calling service and oversaw its evolution from a resale of third-party international calling cards to a facilities-based service provider.
- Defined and priced discount international calling services to and from around 200 countries.
- Established a network of in-country sales agents in around 20 counties, including terms, residual compensation structures, volume, and performance targets.
- Reverse-engineered unit costs, especially international settlement rates, for long-distance wholesalers as part of price negotiations.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) in International Business & Marketing
Columbia Business School - New York, NY, USA
Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree in Film & Television
New York University – Tisch School of the Arts - New York, NY, USA
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring