Investment Analyst2019 - 2020Sentry Investments — CI Global Asset Management
Focus areas: Gold and Silver, Metals & Mining
- Partnered with the portfolio manager to run $600+ million in global resource sector AUM in a highly collaborative process of equity selection, portfolio construction, and risk monitoring.
- Contributed to help the flagship fund achieve top quartile performance for 2020 with a 49.9% return versus our benchmark at 21.7% and median peer at 35.7%, improving from a 4th quartile rank previously.
- Developed a robust multi-factor quantitative model to complement our investment process by validating our fundamental theses with trend and momentum agreement.
- Maintained over 100 operating and financial models with quarterly forecasts monitoring for fundamental inflection points and potential surprises to make actionable recommendations to the PM.
Co-founder2012 - 2018Quantum Equity Growth Advisors
Focus areas: Equity Research, Stock Trading, Financial Technology
- Managed the development of proprietary trend-following software (QuantAction) and provided quantitative research and investment strategy consulting to the portfolio manager and investment advisor clients at CI, RBC, and other asset managers.
- Contributed to the QEG systematic model portfolio returning +24.7% vs. -4% for the TSX Composite over the effective period January 2013 –January 2016.
- Participated in the QEG long-short trading ideas averaging +9.4% vs. -13.4% for the TSX Composite index over the live product period September 2014 – September 2015.
- Led presentations to senior investment professionals to develop business for QEG.
Quantitative Trading Strategist and Equity Sales2010 - 2012Jennings Capital
Focus areas: Stock Trading, Equity Research
- Performed real-time analysis to identify investment themes and generate trading ideas for institutional clients and the firm’s retail advisor network as a registered representative on the sales and trading desk.
- Identified uranium as an emerging bull cycle ahead of 50%+ moves in uranium equities over the next several months, helping drive increased trading and financing revenues for the firm despite having no formal coverage of the uranium sector.
- Coordinated with the investment banking team to identify business development and capital raising opportunities for corporate clients based on proprietary trading and share purchasing trends.
Research Consultant2009 - 2010Beacor Research
Focus areas: Market Research, Commodities, Quantitative Analysis, Equity Research Analysis
- Created proprietary cash flow return on invested capital models to generate U.S. equity investment recommendations for U.S. and Canadian institutional investors.
- Designed a model used by the TMX Group to compare the equity valuation and mineral resource estimates of publicly traded mining companies.
- Identified short selling opportunities based on deteriorating return on capital combined with technical breakdown for fsavaluation.com and their institutional clients.
Equity Research Analyst2005 - 2008Haywood
Focus areas: Distressed/Special Situations, Commodities, Financial Technology, Equity Research
- Covered special situation equities and led the firm’s return on capital report (ROCR) quantitative research product, as a co-portfolio manager of its model portfolios covering 240+ TSX-listed equities.
- Oversaw performance of +25% for the small cap portfolio (vs. -6.2% benchmark) and +11.1% for the large cap portfolio (vs. +12.1% benchmark) over tenure as a co-manager of ROCR portfolios.
- Contributed to 10 of 12 quarterly published analyst top picks outperforming their benchmark.