Verified Expert in Finance
Don is a strategic and relationship-driven servant leader with over 15 years of experience in finance, HR, operations, strategy development and execution, business transformation, and process improvement. He has demonstrated success in building teams and systems to help organizations adapt to changing circumstances, scale sustainably, advance their missions, and live their values.
Chief Operating Officer
- Improved revenue and expense classification, monthly financial reporting, and internal controls through the implementation of a new accounting system.
- Increased real-time visibility into B2C operational and financial performance through the creation of weekly dashboards and trending analyses.
- Partnered with an online education marketplace to improve access to operational data and automate reporting processes, reducing the staff time required to produce the weekly canvas.
Chief Operating Officer
College Advising Corps
- Identified non-personnel expense reductions amounting to $850,000 in the first 90 days.
- Improved the systems infrastructure, including accounting and HRIS implementations, to support national scale and 15-20% annual growth.
- Revamped contracts with university partners and implemented supporting systems and processes to improve data sharing and security as well as compliance with FERPA.
- Built the vision and people strategy that enabled CAC to attract, develop, coach, and retain high-performance team members, empowering them to elevate their level of responsibility, span of control, and performance.
- Led the development of a 3-year diversity, equity, and inclusion strategy and plan for the organization.
- Led the annual strategic and financial planning efforts to enable CAC to reach the 2025 goal to enroll 1 million students.
Chief Financial and Administrative Officer
Meals on Wheels America
- Cut financial close time in half and improved the accounting control environment by implementing a new accounting system and automating key processes.
- Successfully negotiated a $40 million group-purchasing contract to deliver savings to members.
- Led the creation and execution of a 3-year strategic plan that drove a 20% compound annual growth rate over three years.
- Improved data accuracy and accessibility through the implementation of an association management system that centralized data collection, reporting, and analysis.
- Managed the design and construction of the Meals on Wheels America HQ on time and on budget.
CFO | COO
- Delivered warehouse cost savings of over 50% from 2011 to 2012 through the consolidation of warehousing operations.
- Increased warehouse staffing levels by over 200% without increasing costs by expanding state-funded job-training partnerships in Omaha, Nebraska.
- Reduced shipping costs as a percent of revenue by 11% by cutting average miles per shipment.
- Improved financial procedures and controls to deliver clean audits.
- Led finance and audit committees of the board of directors and developed clear and transparent financial and operational reporting to guide strategic oversight.
- Enabled quick and timely decision-making through weekly dashboard reporting that improved the management's visibility and understanding of organizational performance.
Store Operations Finance Manager
The Home Depot
- Reduced annual store waste disposal expense by over $2 million through the development and implementation of a national product donation program.
- Improved weekly and monthly hourly payroll forecast accuracy from +/-5% to +/-1% by incorporating store labor hours and scheduling data into the forecast model.
- Served as the finance lead on key store initiatives including vault automation, back-end receiving, automation, mobile POS, and POS releases.
Business Leadership Program Associate
The Home Depot
- Served as a lead analyst for two acquisitions ($25 million and $300 million) from due diligence through the deal close. Responsible for building valuation models, financial statement analysis, and industry analyses.
- Built a financial model and sensitivity analyses for the executive leadership team in order to allocate $4 billion in capital expenditures for FY2005.
- Co-managed and improved the customer service and in-stock position, supervised 200 employees, and managed a $55 million P&L of the midtown Atlanta retail store.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) Degree in Finance
UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School - Chapel Hill, NC, United States
Bachelor of Science Degree in Marketing
Boston College - Boston, MA, United States
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring