Verified Expert in Finance
A former investment banker at Deutsche Bank, Ed has advised on $20+ billion of M&A and capital markets transactions. He transitioned to an operational role at leading venture-backed Silicon Valley startup Ampush, where he raised debt financing and led a $16 million acquisition. As a Toptal consultant, Ed utilizes his FP&A and transactional experience to deliver value to clients across industries.
VP of Finance
- Raised a fundraising round with professional investors.
- Managed KPI dashboards and analysis for SaaS metrics.
- Oversaw FP&A, accounting, and strategic finance functions.
- Built custom and differentiated software and products from start to finish.
- Scaled the platform to 35,000 users with bootstrapped, product-led growth.
- Reached the final round in evaluations for Y Combinator and Techstars accelerators.
Head of Finance & Strategy
The Podcast App
- Managed board reporting to Y Combinator and Professional Investors.
- Completed annual plan, key metric selection, and forecasting.
- Prepared a plan for Series A fundraising, including model and presentation materials.
Director, Finance and Business Operations
- Managed the financial model and operating key performance indicators while contributing to the corporate strategy working closely with the CEO and COO.
- Managed the accounting staff, leading the development of both company and segment-level financial reporting and three-statement operating used for strategic planning as well as presentations to investors and auditors.
- Raised multi-tranche debt capital, developed the acquisition model, and contributed to the investment thesis of a $16 million acquisition.
- Utilized Excel and Google Sheets to compile and measure daily, weekly and monthly company financial and operating data.
- Managed a team of seven analysts producing weekly operating metrics and KPIs, providing input on best practices and developing systems for checks and quality control across data sources.
- Performed a detailed contract review and managed critical relationships with both clients and investors.
- Served as the financial and data analysis business partner to senior team members, compiling business-line income statements as well as developing models and presentations.
Investment Banking Associate
- Served as a member of the technology industry coverage group responsible for coverage of the software, internet, and electronics sectors.
- Produced the financial model, developed cashflow waterfalls, summary returns estimates, and stock price analysis for the buyer of an $18 billion acquisition in the electronics industry.
- Developed a three-statement financial model, incorporating equity research projections and producing trending operating metrics including average revenue per user (ARPU) and monthly active users (MAUs) for a $3.4 billion media initial public offering candidate.
- Compiled company research, determined the market positioning, and developed detailed revenue, operating, and cash flow models for debt financings in the hardware sector, including a $2.5 billion bankruptcy exit and a $220 million dividend recap.
- Developed pitch materials, financials, and established positioning for growth-stage fundraises for companies in the media hardware and semiconductor sectors.
- Built leveraged buyout (LBO), merger and acquisition (M&A), and three-statement financial models for pitches and live deals.
- Maintained industry research materials and coverage in emerging areas, including artificial intelligence and autonomous driving, that assessed market size, projections, trends, and key industry stakeholders.
Co-Founder and COO/CFO
- Raised $5 million in capital from angel and high net-worth investors; sold at a ~$12 million valuation with average 2.0x returns; assets acquired by a larger institutionally-backed competitor.
- Conducted analytics to evaluate market size and potential for new domain name rights such as .NYC, .Sport, or .Music.
- Developed acquisition budgets as well as operating and financial projections that assessed the acquisition of rights from ICANN, a U.S.-founded regulatory agency.
- Managed a team of 10+ technology providers and consultants to develop 400+ page bids for license acquisitions; in-depth technology, financial, and risk procedures are required to maintain a top-level domain.
- Secured partnerships with .Org registry operators and domain retailers such as GoDaddy and Web.com; Negotiated detailed service provider agreements, investment structures, and operating agreements.
- Hired and managed a product manager through a development phase and domain name product launch; conducted a review on marketing and operational procedures.
- Created budgets and forecasts, helping develop the company to a revenue-generating stage before the acquisition.
- Provided accounting and financial modeling support to portfolio investments including commercial and residential real estate with 50-500 units.
- Modeled investment structures and prepared investor materials for projects with significant institutional debt and equity partnerships for $100+ million in financing.
- Conducted research on capital markets, capitalization rates, and trends.
- Performed feasibility analysis and constructed valuations for prospective projects.
- Supported the sale of a significant asset in Chicago, reviewed and worked with brokerage firms to position the asset, assisted with financial analysis in the diligence process, and assisted with tax matters and analysis.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) Degree in Finance and Accounting
University of Chicago, Booth School of Business - Chicago, Illinois
Bachelor's Degree in Political Science and Economics
Yale University - New Haven, Connecticut