Verified Expert in Finance
Emilio has 25 years of CFO experience in Europe and Latin America. An expert in cross-border M&A, he has executed two $300+ million acquisitions and one $400+ million disposal. Emilio has worked on strategic reorganization projects and started subsidiaries in the oil and gas, automotive and industrial sectors. He enjoys freelancing to use his experience and international exposure to maximize value for his clients.
- Managed the company's corporate debt with €900 million outstanding bonds quoted in Euronext and negotiated new covenants of the existing debt to improve cash distribution to shareholders. Managed €100 million fundraising process.
- Managed the cash of the group of companies and banking relationships and sought refinancing options to leverage the company and increase dividends distribution.
- Managed the transfer pricing matters of the group of companies (intercompany loans and intercompany invoicing) and the pricing strategy with final individual clients of the group of companies.
- Updated the long-term financial modeling of the company and reported to bondholders on a 6-month basis with regular meetings with bondholders.
- Restructured the initial company leading to a group of companies and managed the corporate and legal matters of the group during the restructuring process. Managed the HR matters of the restructuring process.
Regional CFO, Latin America and UK
- Structured a financing facility for $200 million to develop an oil field with a Latin American subsidiary.
- Led the finance and tax sections of a Latin American subsidiary's $400 million sale.
- Led the commercial, finance, and tax sections of acquisitions of oil and gas fields in the UK from a major oil company in two separate transactions of $250+ million each.
- Optimized cross-border taxes in the Latin American and UK subsidiaries with combined savings of $58+ million.
- Led negotiations with the government to settle a $1.3 billion expropriation claim related to a Latin American subsidiary.
- Structured an oil trading contract to secure a three-year oil contract and diluent supply. Negotiated agreements for the sourcing of diluent and the export of oil.
- Controlled capital expenditures for the Block 67 oil license development, a $1.5 billion, five-year investment project. Funds were used to develop oil and gas infrastructure in the Block 67 oilfield.
- Set up the tax optimization for contractors, totaling savings of $40+ million.
- Led negotiations with local banks to sell $300+ million in bonds in the Lima stock market to minimize country risk and maximize tax savings.
- Negotiated changes to an oil license contract with the Peruvian government to increase the contract's profitability. Profit increases of $30+ million were achieved during the 20-year oil contract.
- Led the transition of Perenco-operated oil fields from private companies to joint ventures with the state-owned oil company PDVSA.
- Negotiated the terms of the oil and gas license contract in the new joint venture. Agreed on clauses to the new contract, which had a favorable impact of $25+ million.
- Led the settlement of tax claims in corporate income taxes, reducing tax liability from $45 million to $5 million.
- Restructured the finance, purchasing, and human resources teams to optimize processes. Set up new processes to decrease working capital; accounts receivable decreased by $12.5 million, and inventories by $5 million.
- Traded on foreign currency exchange operations to optimize foreign exchange fluctuations exposure in the company; achieved over $20+ million in savings.
- Marketed and traded the crude oil produced. Negotiated oil spot cargos and long-term oil sale agreements with US refineries, achieving 15% price increases in the oil differential versus previous year contracts.
- Created joint ventures with other petroleum companies for commercialization of asphalt in Central America.
- Reduced accounts receivable by $10+ million in the asphalt division.
- Won a $10 million arbitration litigation against an asphalt client.
- Settled a lengthy $500+ million claim from a supplier in our favor.
Regional CFO, Europe and Latin America
- Led the $50+ million disposal of a subsidiary in Spain, involving marketing the subsidiary and negotiating the sale and purchase agreement, as well as the completion statement to reconcile the interim period from the economic to the closing date.
- Optimized cash in the region with lease-back agreements on buildings and IT assets worth $20+ million.
- Restructured short-term debt to long-term with intense bank negotiations. Followed up on the outstanding debt of corporate bonds (Oceans) in the French stock market and renegotiated terms to avoid bankruptcy.
- Supervised eight subsidiary CFOs, providing training and long-term career development.
- Negotiated with minority shareholders to buy their stake in a transaction worth $10+ million in one of the subsidiaries.
- Achieved a working capital reduction of €18 million in one year, contributing to a record yearly operating cash of €21 million.
- Negotiated annual savings of €25 million in the purchasing department.
- Recovered bad debts by renegotiating the arbitrary debit notes made by Volkswagen for a total amount of $1 million.
- Carried out an in-depth revision of the workflow procedures in the finance department to increase team productivity.
- Reduced bad debts in the Brazilian subsidiary by $4 million by creating an ad hoc team of three people to finalize collections. The ad hoc team was subsequently put in charge of cost reductions.
- Negotiated a long-term consulting contract involving 55 full-time employees.
- Led tax optimization in cross-border consulting assignments with $6+ million in savings.
- Headed finance and tax sections of new joint ventures in accounting outsourcing projects valued at $50+ million.
- Drafted the finance and tax sections of the long-term consulting contracts.
- Served as the project manager for the implementation of a new accounting and management information system and was in charge of the full implementation of the new ERP.
- Set up a new structure of project managers to decentralize cost control and project billing.
- Increased profitability of the subsidiary to 5% EBITDA margin in 1997 versus losses of EUR 300+ million in 1995.
- Managed a 33-person team and served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Alcatel Alsthom Italy subsidiary.
- Led the financial audit of a French subsidiary with over $150+ million in sales. Found audit adjustments valued at $3+ million.
- Headed a post-acquisition audit in the Brazilian subsidiary and identified working capital adjustments of $10+ million.
- Recruited and trained a team of 19 people in the finance and purchase organizations while in the interim CFO position of the Mexican subsidiary for three months.
- Implemented billing procedures in the Mexican subsidiary and recovered $5+ million of overdue invoices.
- Reduced inventories in the Mexican subsidiary by $7+ million after negotiations with suppliers who agreed to have their warehouses on the premises of the Mexican subsidiary.
Certified MBA (CMBA) in International Business
ESCP-EAP European School of Management - Oxford, United Kingdom
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration
Autonomous University of Madrid - Madrid, Spain