Interim CFO and Consultant2016 - PRESENTFreelancer
Focus areas: Finance Transformation, Corporate Finance, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Financial Modeling, Valuation, Budgeting, Financial Reporting, Business Plan Development
- Redesigned the budgeting and strategic planning process for a $3+ billion revenue global airline services company planning an initial public offering in 2018.
- Defined a reporting framework for a newly created business unit of Dubai Holding, a sovereign investment vehicle.
- Supported a high net worth investor in the sale of an investment with responsibilities including determining the valuation, optimizing the timing of the exit, and selecting the counterparty.
- Helped several startups in the fundraising process, including financial model preparation and pitch deck.
Vice President Finance - M&A2018 - 2019Trilogy
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Due Diligence
- Completed 16 acquisitions, including one listed company (take private) and one carve-out of $100 million revenue, managing the process of due diligence and finance integration through to completion.
- Managed the financial due diligence including a detailed examination of the target’s historical financial statements, quality of earnings, working capital considerations, financial projections of annual recurring revenue, and retention rate.
- Defined playbook of integration for all finance areas: order to cash (O2C), procure to pay (P2P), treasury, tax, and FP&A.
- Enforced controls for data import in CRM (Salesforce) and ERP (Netsuite) systems.
- Improved performance of the team by upgrading staff skills, re-designing the process of acquisition (productivity improved by 25% QOQ).
CFO2013 - 2016Filmmaster Mea
Focus areas: Finance Strategy, Project Finance, Profit & Loss (P&L), Profitability Optimization, CFO, Cash Flow Modeling, Finance Systems, Operational Finance, Revenue Optimization, Private Equity, M&A Modeling, Cost Management, P&L Forecasting, Corporate Finance, Financial Reporting, Audit Management
- Built and ran the regional finance organization across three countries. Responsible for the income statement and accountable for the financial strategy and risk management of the company.
- Created competitor and market analysis to find growth opportunities and manage business risk. The insights helped shape corporate strategy and contributed to revenue growth of 60% per annum over three years.
- Improved the capital structure by determining the optimal debt level to fund growth and integrated the capital allocation process with the proposed corporate strategy.
- Implemented Sage 300, a new ERP system, securing board sponsorship for the initiative, and developed a reporting dashboard that incorporated key performance indicators.
- Opened a new branch in Qatar, selecting a finance team and formulating new company processes that aligned with group policies.
- Cooperated with senior lawyers to resolve legal disputes in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, and the United Arab Emirates while also managing audit and tax activities.
- Redesigned the CRM process, selecting and customizing Salesforce software.
- Led bank negotiations, structuring project financing facilities of $20 million.
Regional Manager2011 - 2013Filmmaster Mea
Focus areas: Revenue Modeling, Revenue Optimization, Revenue & Expense Projections, Bank Debt Raises, Cost Efficiency, Working Capital Management, Market Research, Business Plan Development, Project Finance, Recapitalization, Debtor & Creditor Management, Debt Raises
- Developed a strategic plan for the Middle East market with the CEO, creating a new organization that was able to reposition and expand a business that had previously been in decline.
- Restructured the regional organization achieving expense reductions of 30%.
- Implemented tighter management and financial controls, developing a detailed 13-week cash flow plan and arranging short-term bank refinancing.
- Improved working capital by negotiating payment terms with suppliers and re-drafting commercial agreements with clients resulting in a 10-day improvement in days sales outstanding and days payable outstanding.
- Re-engineered critical processes including bidding process, job budgeting and procure to pay (P2P) and order to cash (O2C), obtaining gross margin improvements of 10%.
- Redefined the marketing strategy and developed cohort analysis to retarget marketing efforts resulting in increases in revenue of more than 100% in two years and retention improvement of 50%.
- Designed the performance management process and a new executive bonus plan aligning performance metrics and bonus achievement with revised corporate strategy.
- Reorganized operations in Saudi Arabia, allowing the company to operate within a more stringent legal and social environment.
Financial Controller2010 - 2011Filmmaster television
Focus areas: Financial Systems, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Fundraising, Accounting, Finance Process Improvement, Business Plan Development
- Managed the finance department and reported directly to the CEO and Board of Directors. Responsible for strategic planning as well as treasury, accounting, budgeting, tax and audit functions.
- Implemented a new JD Edward and Oracle ERP system, defining finance and business processes and policies.
- Created a cost allocation methodology and built a customer-level profitability model discovering operational and profit enhancement improvements that enabled the company to become EBITDA positive in three months.
- Prepared business plan, financial model and investor materials to support the CEO in the fundraising process.
- Worked with legal and financial advisors to analyze debt arrangements and asset valuations during the restructuring process.
Senior Consultant2004 - 2010Deloitte
Focus areas: Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Finance Transformation, Strategic Finance Management, Finance Strategy, Financial Modeling, Financial Reporting, Valuation, Financial Asset Impairment Models
- Provided consulting services to mid-market and blue-chip companies focusing on finance transformation and value creation activities including; FP&A; forecasting; management reporting and analysis; business partnerships; ERP implementations; mergers and acquisitions; business transformation; turnarounds.
- Conducted financial due diligence including driving the analysis of the target’s historical financial statements and projections, quality of earnings, working capital, and potential liabilities and risks which could impact the valuation.
- Built complex three statement operating models for strategic planning, budgeting, and forecasting. Leveraged model outputs to perform discounted cash flow valuation analysis and to create a comprehensive M&A model.
- Worked across different industries with leading clients including; Maire Tecnimont, an engineering firm that needed to determine its readiness for an IPO and prepare for an IAS and IFRS transition; Alitalia Airlines, an airline that needed a financial model for strategic planning and asset impairment testing; Luxottica Group, a luxury brand that needed help with IAS and U.S. GAAP financial reporting; Bracco, pharmaceutical company that required an accounting audit.