Verified Expert in Finance
As a CFO, investment banker, and CFA charterholder, Erik is the founding finance executive of Hixme, where he led three rounds of venture capital funding for $26 million (Kleiner Perkins, Propel Ventures, Transamerica Ventures). He enjoys advising management teams and company boards across multiple sectors. His 20 years of experience spans M&A, corporate finance, and valuation (Duff & Phelps) as well as executive management and operations.
Four-scenario Operating Forecast Model
JLR Partners, Inc.
- Served as a capital raise advisory and part-time CFO for an early-stage company that provides a B2B2C SaaS platform to enable broad-based access to the medical benefits of musical therapy.
- Carried out the duties of an interim CFO for a high growth online education company providing real estate investment courses and materials in Canada; created the company’s revenue, operating and cash flow models—achieving alignment with ongoing reporting requirements and establishing primary financial and operating KPI’s.
- Performed as an FP&A advisory for an early-stage company that provides a SaaS platform for the specialty insurance market—establishing the company’s full 3-statement operating model focused on detailed scenario-driven growth outcomes and cash requirements.
- Worked as a CFO advisory for a provider of digital intelligence services primarily to the asset management market—restructuring the forecasting process and model to position the company for an upcoming capital raise.
- Fulfilled the duties of an executive compensation advisory for an early-stage technology startup—providing guidance on negotiation, equity term structuring and dilution impact of upcoming rounds of new capital investment.
- Led three rounds of venture funding for a total of $26 million from Kleiner Perkins, Propel Ventures, Transamerica Ventures, and Rosemark Capital.
- Created and developed financially-oriented products for Hixme's employer benefits technology platform, including Hixme Advance and Hixme Discount.
- Built and managed Hixme’s fully automated payments platform, HixPay which facilitates approximately $1 million of recurring monthly payments to hundreds of vendors with an average transaction amount of $550 through virtual credit cards and automated clearing house (ACH, known as debit and credit) transactions.
- Constructed and supervised Hixme's core financial model and business plan including three primary revenue sources, five product categories, and six operating departments.
- Originated and built Hixme's finance, administrative, compliance, legal, and HR functions (composed of 12 individuals).
- Developed, wrote, and presented materials for quarterly and ad-hoc board of director and investor meetings.
- Developed and maintained the company’s five-year strategic model and plan—establishing a dynamic three-statement financial and operating model used as a measurement framework throughout the company.
- Spearheaded strategic initiatives on Medicare competitive bid contracting—successfully winning contracts in 96 out of 100 Medicare service areas nationally.
- Created the firm's corporate acquisition strategy—successfully closing 14 acquisitions and increasing patient growth by 27%.
- Coordinated and led extensive due diligence efforts for a leveraged shareholder buyout, a strategic sale of the business and multiple acquisitions.
- Led the adoption of CPA-audited financials, including successfully establishing three years of retroactive historical audited performance.
- Established and managed financial accounting procedures and controls.
Director, Investment Banking
Duff & Phelps
- Executed corporate transaction engagements for public and private companies, including M&A, board advisory, fairness opinions, solvency opinions, commercially reasonable debt opinions and business, securities, and portfolio valuations.
- Worked as a lead associate, VP, or director on several transactions including the public spin-off of HSN, Lending Tree, and Ticketmaster from IAC Interactive (NASDAQ: IAC), Del Monte's sale of StarKist, and Cardinal Health's (NYSE: CAH) public spinoff of CareFusion (NYSE: CFN).
- Constructed a wide variety of detailed business and financial models utilizing discounted cash flow, internal rates of return (IRR), net present value (NPV), leveraged buyout and solvency analyses that increased efficiency and have been used as templates for multiple services.
- Coached investment banking staff on career development which involved planning and implementing strategies that improved individual performance.
- Achieved consistent advancement resulting in five promotions from analyst to director.
Bachelor's Degree in Business Economics and German
University of California, Santa Barbara - Santa Barbara, CA, USA
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring