Francisco Barrio Olivas
Verified Expert in Finance
Francisco began his investment banking career at Merrill Lynch, where he completed over $1 billion in M&A and financing deals. He then joined Advent International, one of the largest global private equity firms, where he evaluated over $3 billion in investment opportunities across different sectors. As a freelancer, Francisco has consulted for private equity funds and a number of startups providing support in business planning, financial modeling, capital raising, valuation, and structuring.
Head of Financial Planning
- Built and managed the local finance department, playing an active role in hiring; implemented core infrastructure and designed key processes for accounting, financial planning, treasury, and financial reporting.
- Directed and successfully secured three internal capitalization rounds: managed all aspects of Assets and Liability Committee approvals, including the preparation of investment materials and transaction structuring.
- Developed a robust digital bank financial model, encompassing bottom-up forecasts across core payments, remittances, consumer credit, and wealth product lines, enabling successful regulatory license applications and funding of the Mexican business.
- Managed a cross-functional team focused on developing the financial requirements of two regulatory license applications: achieved a record approval of a money transmitter license in less than one year.
- Performed due diligence, financial modeling, valuation analyses, and transaction structuring for the acquisition of a $50 million solar energy platform on behalf of a US energy and infrastructure PE fund with $1+ billion AUM.
- Supported an e-bike distribution startup with a successful seed fundraising of $1 million by developing a bottom-up operating and financial model, a base case valuation and transaction structure, and negotiations with shareholders.
- Built a flexible LBO template model for an early-stage private equity fund. The model had a modular architecture and detailed leverage capabilities modeled through a robust debt waterfall and an earnout mechanism.
- Developed a KPI dashboard (growth, origination costs, and profitability), a bottom-up operative model and projections that catalyzed annual savings of US$100,000 for a payroll broker.
- Developed a monthly, 3-statement, financial and operating model for a brand aggregator with multiple revenue channels, including: online (.com, marketplaces, and social platforms) and traditional (retail and wholesale).
Founder and CEO
- Developed, launched, and operated a branded retail takeaway coffee shop in Mexico City. Executed all the steps in business planning and launch, including incorporation, product and brand development, and business and financial planning.
- Led product and channel development for retail, B2B (sales to small supermarkets) eCommerce, and delivery platforms for a coffee shop concept in Mexico City.
- Drove 3x growth over 12 months, despite opening in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. Reached operative breakeven and subsequently divested the business in less than 30 days.
- Launched over a dozen value creation initiatives, including the development of new channels, a loyalty program, new products, and digital marketing initiatives to increase the recurrence and size of average sales.
- Built a KPI dashboard and 3-statement operating model for financial management, fiscal reporting, and investment analysis.
- Originated, analyzed, and performed extensive buy-side diligence on an office-as-a-service company, including operating and commercial diligence, bottom-up financial modeling, and the preparation of investment committee materials.
- Supported management of a banking portfolio company on all steps of its IPO process, including reviewing regulatory filings and marketing materials, coordinating advisors, and preparing pricing and valuation analyses and exit committee materials.
- Prepared bottom-up operating and LBO models, performed commercial and quality of earnings diligence, and developed the investment thesis for several paper-packaging investment opportunities, totaling over $500 million in potential investment value.
- Headed a series of proprietary industry mappings and sourcing efforts that resulted in several deal initiations, two due diligence processes, and the signing of two industry advisors.
- Executed the initial steps of deal analysis for 20+ transactions, including developing initial presentation materials, investment thesis, operating financial and LBO models, valuation, corporate analysis, and offer letter and term sheet drafting.
Investment Banking Analyst
- Supported a successful $150 million sell-side M&A transaction for Mexico's second-largest pharmaceutical distributor through the full ownership of financial modeling and valuation analyses as well as aiding in the preparation of marketing materials.
- Assisted the record-low pricing of Kimberly Clark de Mexico's $250 million bond issuance in 2014 and the subsequent $250 million bond issuance in 2015 by preparing industry analyses, roadshow materials, and credit benchmarks.
- Owned the financial modeling, valuation analyses, management presentations in several live debts and M&A transactions, and pitches involving the analysis of industry research, preparation of financial models, and presentation materials.
- Performed corporate and asset valuations and sensitivity analyses through DCF, LBO, comparable companies, precedent transactions, and sum-of-the-parts methodologies.
- Developed teasers, confidential information memoranda, and management presentations for multiple transactions and prepared numerous decks and pitches for C-level executive discussions.
Bachelor of Commerce Degree in Finance
McGill University - Montreal, Quebec, Canada