Verified Expert in Finance
Gab is an investment manager with more than 12 years of experience in private equity and investment banking. He has invested, managed, raised, or intermediated funds over €1 billion in various industries and contingencies across multiple asset classes and jurisdictions. He particularly enjoys consulting smaller to mid-cap companies to discover and learn about new sectors and business models, which he dissects with a rigorous value-oriented approach and second-level thinking.
Dynamic Financial Models (Extract)
- Spearheaded and executed ten investments in startups and SMEs operating in the tech and creative sectors.
- Maintained a 100% approval rate of investment opportunities brought to the committee.
- Conceived, approved, and executed new investment structures and products the fund had never authorized or used.
- Built a strong and growing network of founders, investors, and advisors.
- Developed team practices and templates such as the due diligence process, a standardized investment model, investment documents, and marketing materials.
Self-employed Financial Advisor
- Advised a street sports media startup on its business plan elaboration and capital raising.
- Counseled a tech startup operating in the energy space on its business plan elaboration, capital raising, investor relations, and recapitalization.
- Acted as sell-side advisor for a small-cap IT services business sold to a PE-backed software house.
- Directed an industrial engineering/OEM business on its capital-raising strategy.
- Pan-European private equity fund with €8+ billion AUM, running a contrarian value-driven strategy, targeting businesses with operational transformation opportunities and downside protection, through independent thematic origination.
- Led multiple workstreams related to the €500 million privately originated leveraged buyout of the largest themed-restaurant chain in France.
- Personally developed all models and templates dedicated to sourcing investment opportunities and assessing their attractiveness (5,000+ names reviewed). Led several origination themes, procuring two pursued investment opportunities.
- Led various work streams related to the two add-on acquisitions and subsequent sale of portfolio company ICWG for a transaction value above £1 billion.
- UK public alternative asset manager (FTSE 100 constituent). €37+ billion AUM dedicated to multiple strategies across asset classes, public or private markets, globally. Worked within the flagship private debt and equity strategy division.
- Executed and handled everything related to our investment activity, implying a vast range and volume of responsibilities as a member of a two-person team.
- Researched and analyzed more than 200 opportunities. Led the internal approval process of new investments, as well as their valuation, due diligence, and execution.
- Managed a €670 million portfolio of five investments: one multi-tranche investment originated and monetized (blended return 1.6x), two legacy positions managed and monetized (2.4x and 3.2x return), and two more positions managed and restructured.
- Monitored and published investor relations materials related to five investments. Board of directors representation with three businesses. Monthly analysis of financial results vs. plan and explanation.
- Occasionally involved with special corporate projects. In one case, oversaw a secondary transaction over a €2.5 billion flagship fund, where a lead limited partner took over the entirety of all other fund investors' commitments.
Barclays Investment Bank
- Worked at the origination, underwriting, and syndication of financing packages in the sub-investment grade space, as an associate in the EMEA leveraged finance department.
- Prepared hundreds of market and credit analyses, including relative pitch books, to market the bank's services.
- Analyzed a vast array of industries, business models, transaction types (LBOs, refinancings, and dividend recapitalization), and capital instruments (loans, bonds, senior or subordinated, public or private, and cash or PIK interest payments).
- Contributed to the internal approval of €5+ billion debt transactions by owning multiple workstreams: process management, execution of credit analyses, transaction structuring, market updates, and production of all related documentation.
- Completed a 1-year rotation in the leveraged syndicate department, managing the distribution process of financing packages to public or private investors, and handling the interaction between the private and public sides.
- Led several workstreams related to a multiple-record breaking £550 million PIK Note issue, which Barclays advised on in exclusivity. Among other achievements, the transaction was the largest € or £ PIK Note and largest debut £ trance ever issued.
- Managed key workstreams related to the $275 million dividend recapitalization of Dematic. Highly bespoke and uncustomary structuring terms (defined by the press "a challenge to the market"), negotiated to suit the exceptional needs of the financing.
- Mentored and oversaw various classes of new analysts and interns.
Master's Degree in Corporate Finance
École Supérieure de Commerce de Paris (ESCP Europe) - Paris, France
Master of Science Degree in Management
City University - London, England
Graduate Degree in Business Administration
Università degli Studi di Torino - Turin, Italy
Mental Health First Aid Supervisor
Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring