Godfrey M. Bakuli
Verified Expert in Finance
Starting his career at Morgan Stanley, Godfrey has worked with both startups and large enterprises on $6 billion of strategic assignments. In 12+ years, this advisory has included M&A, divestitures, and equity and debt financings. Last year alone, he helped startups in the data center, transportation, drone infrastructure, and CPG spaces raise $14 million. Godfrey freelances as a means to broaden his network and deepen his industry knowledge.
Head of Business and Investment Research
Bionic Solution, LLC
- Advised Fortune 100 companies on creating, acquiring, and scaling businesses around disruptive innovations.
- Acted as interim CFO for startups within Johnson & Johnson, TD Ameritrade, Procter & Gamble, and other firms; raised $14.3 million.
- Devised an investment rationale for Procter & Gamble in a women’s health area and advised on the acquisition of a $200 million target.
- Led cross-functional team members in conducting competitive landscape research, market sizing and structural analysis, and business and financial modeling; grew the team from one to five members.
Founder | Managing Partner
Mutoro Group, LLC
- Founded an investment firm with personal capital and with external backing, grew fund 31% in 5 years (vs. 20% for hedge fund peers).
- Researched businesses, analyzed regulatory filings, and interviewed industry sources to understand companies’ unit economics, management, FCF generation, business model, competitive positioning, financial condition, and profitability prospects.
- Employed a fundamental value investment process to identify companies with a high return on invested capital being sold at significant discounts to their long-term intrinsic values.
- Launched a firm blog, Notes & Letters, and grew the readership to 3,000 in five years.
Partner | Chief Financial Officer
Connor Capital SB, LLC
- Co-founded $35-million fund investing in transportation, technology, and infrastructure.
- Fielded inbound acquisition opportunities and wrote memoranda justifying investments.
- Negotiated and managed contracts with team of 20 across legal, banking, regulatory, administration, technology, and audit.
- Built financial and operational infrastructure, including acquisition models and economic models for budget and cash flows.
Sageview Capital, LP
- Performed strategic, operational, and financial due diligence on technology, consumer, and digital media companies for a fund with $1 billion in assets under management in public and private markets.
- Built models to analyze unit economics, relative/intrinsic valuation, credit metrics, and earnings forecasts.
- Created the strategy and FP&A for an entertainment technology services company.
- Developed an M&A pipeline and cash flow management processes for a distressed B2B portfolio company with $75 million in revenue and significant leverage.
- Advised management of transportation and infrastructure firms on $6 billion in financial and strategic advisory assignments, including mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, corporate defense activities, and equity and debt financings.
- Managed a team of eight in preparing Excel-based financial models, due diligence checklists, transaction documentation, and C-suite and board of director presentations.
- Worked on a variety of transactions including the Continental and United Airlines Merger ($3 billion), Spirit Airlines IPO ($900 million), Swift Transportation IPO ($800 million), and the JetBlue sale of 19% to Lufthansa ($300 million).
Bachelor's Degree in Economics and History
Williams College - Williamstown, MA, USA