Houston, TX, United States
Member since September 1, 2016
Hassan is an equity research analyst—providing strategy assessment and valuation to large-cap energy companies, hedge funds, and private equity firms. He started freelancing to apply his knowledge in valuation, M&A, competitive intelligence and corporate strategy to new clients. Organically, he built M&A (deals up to $1 billion) and corporate strategy capabilities at Reliant Energy. He is cited in business publications and has appeared on NPR.
- Equity Analyst2011 - PRESENTIHS Markit
Focus areas: Valuation, Mergers & Acquisitions, Financial Modeling, Capital Structure Analysis
- Covered international oil and gas company valuation and strategy assessment—specifically Apache, Noble, Occidental, Anadarko, and others.
- Developed a proprietary value at risk (VaR) model to measure company exposure to political risk, highlighting to clients $2-3 billion of unaccounted risky exposure.
- Performed an in-depth analysis of industry trends with a strong emphasis on merger and acquisition activity.
- Created financial models to analyze profitability of unconventional energy resource plays in North America. Analysis including projects worth $5-$15 billion.
- Coordinated internal research efforts across different upstream functions to ensure consistent analysis across groups.
- Presented research findings to private equity, hedge funds, and energy companies—covering oil and gas valuation, corporate relative valuation, and industry opportunities and challenges.
- Quoted in various industry publications and hosted on NPR (Feb '16) to provide in-depth analysis of meaningful industry developments.
- Financial Analyst2007 - 2011Reliant Energy
Focus areas: Valuation, Financial Modeling, Budgeting, Comparable Company Analysis, Competitive Intelligence, Mergers & Acquisitions, Business Plan Development, Corporate Strategy, Capital Allocaton, Integration Process
- Performed a financial analysis covering business mergers, acquisitions (up to $1 billion), new ventures, and startups in the wholesale and retail power industries covering conventional and renewable sources of energy.
- Led corporate strategy initiatives to create internal capital allocation process, including new opportunity screening practices, hurdle rates, and investment ranking—leading to 50+ screens a year.
- Created a competitive intelligence and industry analysis framework to alert executive management of changing industry trends and competitor actions.
- Led the teams responsible for integration and divestiture of multiple company assets (deals up to $1 billion).
- Assisted in creating a scenario management framework to help guide company strategy and contingency plans depending on shifting business environment.
- Assisted investor relations in efforts to promote company strategy and unique value proposition compared with peers.
- Certified MBA (CMBA) in Finance2009 - 2011Rice University - Houston, TX, USA
- Bachelor's degree in Finance1998 - 2003American University in Cairo - Cairo, Egypt