Verified Expert in Finance
An investment professional with a 15-year career in finance, Herbert has sourced and closed some of the most attractive deals in the energy private equity space exceeding over $2 billion of transactions, including the LDH Energy Asset Holdings and Dynegy Roseton investments. He joined Toptal to leverage his expertise and help clients with M&A, capital raising, and financial planning.
Leverage Finance Analysis
Private Equity Investment Professional
- Developed the business plan and met with potential limited partners for a private equity investment vehicle targeting acquisitions in the energy space.
- Sourced and screened potential control, minority interest, and mezzanine investments to be warehoused for the investment vehicle.
Castleton Commodities International
- Served as the head of principal investing for power generation, launching the firm’s first-time portfolio of electric power investments and closing on four acquisitions totaling over $100 million of initial equity capital.
- Increased the annual cash flows of the power portfolio by $23 million through cost savings, revenue enhancements, and completing high-return capital projects.
- Implemented reporting procedures with the accounting and operations teams and reduced the financial month-end closing process from over 30 days to less than five days for the power portfolio.
- Managed the lender diligence process for a $250 million term loan and subsequent $1.9 billion exit for the firm's midstream energy portfolio of six midstream energy assets consisting of 53 million barrels of storage capacity, 1,066 miles of pipelines, and 51,000 barrels per day of processing capacity.
- Represented the company as a speaker/panelist at marquee industry conferences including the 2013 and 2015 Platts Financing US Power conferences, and at board and lender meetings.
Investment Banking Associate
- Provided clients with financing and merger and acquisition advisory services, including financial modeling, valuation analysis, drafting SEC filings, and credit analysis.
- Created the financial model and informational memorandum for the $1.1 billion sale by Highstar Capital of its 50% stake in InterGen, an electric power generation company with assets in North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia.
- Created the financial model and drafted the S-1 filing and lender's presentation for a wind energy developer's (Noble Environmental Power) $375 million initial public offering and $200 million term loan.
- Built the merger model for a $7.5 billion attempted hostile takeover by Exelon Corporation, an integrated utility, of NRG Energy, an independent power producer.
- Was ranked in the top tier of the associate class.
Corporate Development Intern
- Drafted investor presentations and constructed an operating build-up and financial model used to secure a $20 million private placement of debt and preferred equity.
- Assisted the company with SEC filings and financial reporting in preparation for its public listing via a reverse merger.
- Was offered a full-time position as director of corporate development.
- Built and maintained the cash flow and financial forecast models; worked with business unit heads to create operating and financial projection assumptions and perform budget-to-actual variance analysis.
- Supported over $1 billion of corporate and project debt financings through financial modeling, financial covenant analysis, and drafting rating agency and lenders presentations.
- Created the financial models for the $280 million sale of Edison’s home security and alarm company and $20 million management buyout of an energy service company.
- Developed the utility’s long-term resource plan, including determining optimal projected allocations of utility-owned generation, contracted generation, and spot purchases.
- Testified before the California Public Utilities Commission on utility-related topics including the comparative cost of generation and the cost of capital for utilities versus independent power producers.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) Degree in Finance
UCLA Anderson School of Management - Los Angeles, CA, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Economics and Political Science
University of California, Los Angeles - Los Angeles, CA, USA