Verified Expert in Finance
Management Consulting Expert
Ian is a senior-level TMT industry consultant with over 30 years of experience in telecom markets in over 30 countries worldwide. He has strong analytical ability backed by sound academic credentials and is an acknowledged expert in strategic market analysis, particularly segmentation, targeting, positioning, sizing, forecasting, and planning. Ian has extensive project management experience and first-class presentation skills.
Market Strategy for a Global ICT Vendor
- Sold and managed a large-scale SME market research and segmentation project spanning eight countries for a global software vendor to identify and characterize the most attractive market segments and develop marketing messages for each.
- Sold and managed a global SME market research, segmentation, and forecasting project for a worldwide equipment vendor to identify the most attractive segments and develop marketing messages for each.
- Managed a project to produce a significant European fiber access policy paper to encourage 'best practice' initiatives by regulators, governments, and service providers.
Ovum (now Omdia)
- Designed, sold, and managed a large-scale global enterprise market forecasting and strategy project spanning 20 product categories and 25 countries for a global service provider, enabling it to size market segments and identify rapidly growing areas.
- Designed, sold, and managed a large-scale global consumer market and market share forecasting and strategy project for a global OTT player spanning six product groups and six device types, enabling it to develop its strategy by country and product category.
- Designed, sold, and managed a large-scale global telco OPEX research and modeling project spanning over 30 telcos for a major global equipment vendor, enabling it to develop core propositions for its telco customers.
Head of Fixed Telecoms Research
- Wrote widely-read and quoted reports on UK telecoms players, including BT, Virgin Media, BSkyB, and TalkTalk Group quarterly results. My work was quoted in major newspapers, including the Financial Times and the London Times.
- Wrote widely-read and quoted reports on UK telecoms themes, including local loop unbundling and high-speed broadband. Appeared on UK national TV and radio.
- Advised the UK Secretary of State for Media and Chairman of the UK House of Lords Select Committee on Superfast Broadband.
- Designed, sold, and conducted a strategic analysis of Next Generation Access for a major telco, enabling it to form a realistic view of the return on investing in fiber access.
- Led econometric modeling to generate market forecasts supporting BT's legal dispute with the UK Government Valuation Office, resulting in a £250 million rate rebate for BT.
- Conducted revenue analysis for a multi-million euro shareholder value analysis project for Deutsche Telekom to support its IPO.
- Managed a team of 12 consultants analyzing the market for satellite services in Southern Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East for a Middle East investor.
Master's Degree in Business Administration (MBA)
INSEAD - Fontainebleau, France
Bachelor's Degree in Economics
London School of Economics - London, England
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring