Philadelphia, PA, United States
Member since April 29, 2017
A Wall Street-trained former Fortune 500 M&A and strategy VP, Jacob is pursuing his MBA at Wharton and has led over $2 billion in acquisitions and divestitures. Jacob has worked with both $100+ million companies and small, mid-sized businesses and appreciates the resource constraints they face regularly. As a freelancer, Jacob's goal is to expand your company's finance capabilities and execute financial transactions as painlessly as possible.
- Vice President2014 - 2017AmTrust Financial Services
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Strategic Investments, Deal Analysis, Audit Management, M&A (Buy-side), Valuation, Three Statement Operating Model, Due Diligence, Board Materials, Process Management, Investor Presentations, Regulatory Presentations
- Executed on 20+ acquisition processes amounting to $2+ billion targeting property and casualty (P&C) insurance and insurance service companies, including carriers, managing general agencies, wholesale agencies, claims administrators, and warranty administrators.
- Created complex financial models, including three-statement operating models, synergy analysis, and accretion/dilution analysis for both traditional service businesses and insurance companies.
- Managed diligence teams of as many as 30 senior company employees for both acquisitions and divestitures; summarized due diligence findings that included recommendations affecting key deal terms and integration plans.
- Created presentations for the board of directors describing, in detail, acquisition considerations including financial overviews, operational overviews, and key opportunities and risks.
- Successfully led a multibillion-dollar company-wide financial audit by a Big Four accounting firm after having been directly recruited internally by AmTrust's CEO.
- Executed to close the following select transactions: AmTrust Financial Services' acquisition of Warranty Solutions from Wells Fargo for $152 million, AmTrust Financial Services' acquisition of Republic Group for $233 million and AmTrust Financial Services acquisition of Oryx Insurance Brokerage Inc. for an undisclosed amount.
- Investment Banking Analyst2012 - 2014Guggenheim Securities
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Equity Financing, Financial Modeling, Return Analysis, Corporate Finance, Valuation, Valuation Analysis, DCF Valuation, Valuation Multiples, Three Statement Operating Model, Leveraged Buyout Model
- Developed comprehensive financial models and performed valuation analyses and due diligence to analyze profitability, cash flows and debt capacity for leveraged buyouts, M&A, and financing transactions.
- Created client presentations analyzing industry trends, company financials and proforma valuation for companies within the financial services, industrial and media industries.
- Wrote confidential information memorandums that presented comprehensive financial and operational overviews of the bank's clients and clients' industries.
- Interfaced with senior professionals at both large and mid-sized companies to develop sell-side materials.
- Industry Analysis and Porter’s Five Forces: A Deeper Look at Buyer Power (Publication)In this article, Toptal Finance Expert Jacob Decter unpacks the concept of buyer power, one of the Five Forces that Michael Porter popularized in his now famous framework, providing useful insights and tips to businesses looking to stay ahead of the game and thrive.
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree in Finance and Entrepreneurship2017 - 2019Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, PA, USA
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting2009 - 2012Binghamton University - Binghamton, NY, USA