Verified Expert in Finance
A finance leader and entrepreneur, Jaime recently co-founded White Hat Consultores, a cybersecurity company. Prior to this venture, he deployed over $1 billion in investments and transactions while working at private equity group Highland Capital and public corporations Alcon Labs and Adeptus Health. As a freelancer, he currently leads fundraising efforts, growth, and organizational strategy as the CFO of hi-tech start-up Schokgear.com.
Private Placement Opportunity
Venture Capital Investment Case
Founder and Managing Partner
- Engaged in market research and data mining to build financial models, pitch book compilation, and tear sheets totaling $300 million in transaction size.
- Led pre-IPO due diligence, S-1 document, and marketing materials review, working with lead underwriters.
- Designed an international healthcare growth strategy through De Novo facilities and acquisitions to increase EBITDA by 200% in five years and built pre-post money valuation Excel models, raising $2 million of equity in two months.
- Developed detailed financial models to support valuation and analyze the credit quality of M&A transactions and covenant calculations on a proforma TTM basis that increased borrowing capacity by 30%.
- Spearheaded the credit analysis and acquisition of two Latin American universities: INCADE Paraguay and Fundación Universidad Area Andina Bogota, totaling $120 million of capital deployed.
- Built and maintained biotechnology industry-specific public trading comps and relevant transaction comparable sets for valuation exercises to guide investors. Along with CFO, lead capital raising efforts.
- Led the design and implementation of an innovative probabilistic valuation methodology for a public biotechnology company. By implementing this new approach, the firm's value jumped 3.5 times, and the company raised $100 million in additional capital.
- Oversaw $200 million in strategic business planning. Researched comparable market performance and assessed the industry and competitive landscape to drive the planning process and the evolution of a long-term strategic plan within the biotechnology field.
- Developed funding strategies to match the capital structure needs of a biotechnology company. By implementing this approach, the firm's value jumped 3.5 times, and the company raised $100 million in additional capital.
- Raised over $50 million in the consumer finance, cybersecurity, and technology sectors by issuing hybrid securities for early seed financing.
Director of Corporate Development and Capital Markets
- Accelerated the planning and execution of growth strategies. Set up a process to analyze the underwriting standards and evaluate the credit quality of potential investments.
- Grew the acquisition pipeline from 25 facilities to 95 through credit analysis and loan underwriting. Worked closely with lawyers on structured transactions and reviewed the quality of earnings and commercial due diligence reports.
- Completed the $200 million post-merger integration with Dignity, UCHealth, and THR healthcare systems.
- Managed banking relationships, monitored covenants, and served as a liaison between the public and private sides.
- Implemented a risk modeling initiative focusing on liquidity and operational risk by setting standards on the balance sheet and cash flow modeling forecasts.
Director, Corporate Development
ACE Cash Express
- Led cross-functional teams to build and implement M&A pipeline, due diligence, and negotiation/closing processes on payday lending opportunities that generated over $50 million in incremental business.
- Worked closely with regional leaders to create viable post-acquisition integration plans and oversaw the integration process to ensure a smooth merging between people and processes.
- Conducted competitive intelligence, regulatory landscape reviews, segmentation, and business scenario analyses to develop financial cases that helped senior management articulate company direction.
- Performed a five-year cash flow forecast and illustrated capital allocation optimization options to senior management; presented sensitivity tables of different dividend payout ratios versus investing in growth initiatives and ROE impact.
- Led the monthly, quarterly and annual budget and forecast for 1,600 facilities across the US market and collaborated with business units to manage and coordinate the FP&A process.
Director, Corporate Finance
- Worked closely with senior management to build an M&A pipeline strategy and evaluated investment opportunities looking at return/metrics such as IRR and EBITDA multiples.
- Managed the monthly, quarterly and annual budget and forecast for 8 business units and 500+ UPC codes, totaling $3 billion in annual revenue. Collaborated with each business unit to coordinate the FP&A process and add value through strategic initiatives to improve processes.
- Implemented NPV/DCF/ROI financial models for business improvement initiatives (sourcing, capital investments, resource allocation), giving management a robust decision tool.
- Partnered with banks, analyzed credit lines, and negotiated covenant-lite methodologies that gave Hostess more financial flexibility and the ability to focus more on operations and ROIC improvements.
- Served as an advisor to the executive team; developed KPIs, created monthly financial and variance reports and performed insightful analyses as well as produced materials for Board of Directors meetings.
Highland Capital Management
- Provided initial investment review and screening of prospective investment opportunities as well as tracked the investment pipeline.
- Built and maintained transaction models (DCF and transaction multiples approaches) used to value distressed investment opportunities.
- Drafted LBO investment decks illustrating financing alternatives and capitalization tables pre- and post-conversion ownership for several opportunistic investments.
- Presented various investment theses across different sectors that were ultimately deployed, accounting for roughly 20% of the portfolio. The fund outperformed the HFRI Index.
- Oversaw a $300 million private equity middle market distressed portfolio and implemented tactical asset allocation strategies across multiple sectors to improve risk-adjusted returns.
Senior Strategic Financial Analyst
- Served as the go-to analyst supporting Alcon’s corporate development team, developing valuation work totaling prospective equity investments over $150 million - including the acquisition of 77% of the outstanding shares of Wavelight for $13.8 per share.
- Conducted timely and effective financial and strategic analyses in support of Alcon’s global growth initiatives across its refractive business sector.
- Modeled complex financial structures to buy-out over $20 million of royalty streams in a two-year span.
- Assisted in strategic M&A planning and vetting efforts, including data gathering and incorporating comprehensive views into solid assumptions and business cases for potential M&A opportunities within the refractive sector.
- Supported the M&A team in developing the pipeline, evaluating targets, conducting due diligence, preparing board presentations and transaction announcements, and developing post-acquisition business plans.
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) - Level 2 Certificate in Finance
CFA Institute - USA
Master of Business Administration (MBA) Degree in Finance, Strategy & Entrepreneurship
Southern Methodist University - Dallas
Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical & Electrical Engineering
ITESM - Monterrey, Mexico
CFA Level II