Verified Expert in Finance
Having completed over $2.5 billion in transactions in his 40+ year career, Jeff works with small and medium-sized businesses (SMEs) as an M&A advisor, fractional CFO, and strategic advisor. He was twice recognized by the Wall Street Journal as an All-Star Analyst in healthcare services. Jeff also serves as the CEO of a $30 million textbook distribution company, where he provided buy-side M&A services and completed the private placement of secured debt.
Rittenhouse Book Distributors
- Completed the acquisition of the company amid the COVID-19 pandemic in June 2020. Provided M&A services and private placement of debt.
- Provided the vision to address legacy problems in the business and restructured the senior management team.
- Recruited two exceptional employees and helped develop them into our current senior management team. From day one, I sought to replace myself by developing talent within the organization.
- Recreated the company's digital business by replacing its old technology with a new leading-edge platform.
- Led efforts to spin off our digital assets into a new company while raising $1.5 million in new equity.
Freelance Advisory Services
- Designed the financial and operational restructuring plan for a $13 million lab company.
- Developed an acquisition strategy for an early-stage holding company in the new car dealership industry.
- Modeled and carried out an affordable housing initiative to include real estate acquisition, rehabilitation, and resale.
- Shaped and implemented a strategy to develop three senior living facilities, including procuring bond underwriting from Cain Brothers.
- Advised a former board member of a $400 million Italian-based industrial company on strategic alternatives.
- Guided a dot-com entrepreneur on the best way to expand services and consult with clients on M&A activities.
- Provided valuation and fairness opinion in the purchase of all the stock in a subsidiary not already owned by the parent company.
- Acted as the M&A advisor to an educational website, showing entrepreneurs how to buy and own their own businesses.
Business Plan Consultant (SBA Loan/US/Hospitality)
Liberty Global Enterprises LLC
- Helped clients model new real estate development for different types of lenders, including SBA and commercial banks.
- Contacted banks on behalf of clients. Managed the process from the initial conversations through sharing of the financial model and information memorandum, follow-up conversations between bank and client, and working through the funding process.
- Created an information memorandum to attract financing along with the financial model.
Lanier Securities LLC
- Founded Lanier Securities in 2016, a FINRA member broker/dealer, primarily doing private placements of debt and equity.
- Mentored and coached CEOs, serving as a trusted advisor, while leading related investment banking engagements.
- Completed private placement of Series D preferred equity in investment advisory company.
- Handled the private placement of senior debt for a craft brewing company.
- Provided M&A advisory services on the potential sale of an investment advisory company to a hedge fund.
Genesis Capital LLC
- Completed three transactions valued at over $420 million during my last full year at Genesis Capital.
- Advised as interim CFO, creating three-statement financial and operating models that resulted in 100% sales growth in two years.
- Negotiated sale of a business to a strategic acquirer, successfully closing a $400 million transaction.
- Built financial reporting package resulting in new bank lines of credit for a client.
- Wrote offering memorandums for clients raising capital for an M&A transaction.
- Negotiated investment by private equity into a client company.
Founder | Managing Partner
Caymus Partners LLC
- Founded an investment bank focused on the healthcare market completing 20+ merger, debt, and equity financing transactions.
- Negotiated the purchase of IP from Harvard Medical School.
- Advised in a proxy contest against the incumbent board of directors of Tenet Healthcare, the second-largest hospital company in the U.S. at the time, resulting in a change of governance and the replacement of the CEO and COO.
- Advised a client's board of directors to institute a poison pill.
- Negotiated the sale of a home healthcare company to a private equity-backed company.
- Completed two Section 363 bankruptcy sales resulting in the full repayment of creditors.
Senior Vice President — Research
The Robinson Humphrey Company
- Recruited to head the healthcare research department for Robinson Humphrey, a subsidiary of Salomon Smith Barney & CitiGroup.
- Received second Wall Street Journal All-Star Analyst designation.
- Rebuilt the healthcare research team and completed $750+ million in transactions including the successful IPO of Province Healthcare.
Partner and Director of Research
Johnson Rice & Co.
- Built a seven-person institutional investment research department as the director of research, expanding the firm's investment research to include healthcare, retailing, and restaurants.
- Named the number-one healthcare analyst by the Wall Street Journal.
- Designed and implemented protocols to bring Johnson Rice research to institutional clients every morning before the market opened.
- Worked with investment banking department on several projects, including with the co-manager with Merrill Lynch on shareholder rights offering, public offerings for funeral home, and hospital management companies.
Bachelor's Degree in Economics
Southern Methodist University - Dallas, TX, USA