Verified Expert in Finance
John launched his consulting practice after a 20-year financial career working at leading commercial real estate firm Majestic Realty, sports entertainment conglomerate AEG and on Wall Street at CIBC. John has served as a CFO and raised over $1 billion in debt and equity capital for companies in a variety of industries. He freelances to leverage his experiences to help companies leverage capital and maximize efficiency.
Chief Financial Officer
The Ranch Malibu
- Raised $10 million to refinance an existing multifamily real estate portfolio, producing all marketing materials and negotiating with potential lenders to achieve the highest loan proceeds at the lowest cost of capital.
- Conducted discounted cash flow analyses and created a pitch deck for the capital raise of a mid-sized fitness and wellness program.
- Created precedent transaction analyses to screen over $50 million in real estate transactions, successfully executing multiple acquisitions.
- Developed a strategic plan for the management of $10 million of liquid assets by creating financial reports to analyze current returns from existing investments and coordinated with financial institutions to improve the investment performance of cash holdings.
- Instituted a payroll management process to ensure the successful implementation of a $2 million annual payroll system leveraging the web-based Paychex platform to streamline the process.
Chief Financial Officer
Casa de Leones Entertainment
- Led a team of five employees to coordinate the financial management efforts of a profitable music company, tracking financial reporting on a daily basis and creating models to monitor and track projected performance.
- Analyzed quarterly distribution statements to ensure the proper calculation and payment of management commissions, achieving significant improvements in commission collection.
- Managed all human resources efforts, negotiating employment contracts to help scale the team and establishing a healthcare program for the stakeholders.
- Built detailed financial models for potential projects and the calculation of management commissions.
- Tracked bank accounts and tax payments via QuickBooks to monitor cash flow and calculate manager commissions and reimbursements.
Strategic Trading Corporation
- Built a financial model for return projections from stocks and options investments for a fund that generated an IRR of 30%+ over five years.
- Executed daily stock and options trades, totaling $2+ million of trading volume over five years.
- Conducted analyses of transaction fees and decreased the portfolio management cost by 70%.
Associate Director of Capital Markets
Majestic Realty Co.
- Developed a financial model to raise a $175 million credit facility to finance gaming and retail space at a $500 million casino in Las Vegas.
- Created pro forma financials and offering memorandums to facilitate the successful raise of $100+ million of debt financing for a 2+ million square foot property based in California.
- Raised $1+ billion of debt to refinance additional industrial, retail and office real estate.
- Structured and executed a variety of real estate development and finance transactions for a commercial real estate portfolio exceeding 68 million square feet of industrial, retail and office space.
CIBC World Markets
- Provided deal structuring analysis for a variety of investment banking and credit transactions including industry and equity research, analysis of debt and equity trading multiples, discounted cash flow analysis and financial modeling.
- Raised a $500 million senior credit facility for Isle of Capri Casinos, a leading gaming company.
- Raised a $200 million senior credit facility for Central Garden & Pet, a consumer products company.
- Raised $150 million in an equity offering for Magna Entertainment, a horse racing and real estate company.
- Assisted with the composition of 50+ equity research reports for use in the annual CIBC Gaming, Lodging, and Leisure conference.
Master's Degree in Finance and Entrepreneurship
University of Southern California - Los Angeles, California
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration
University of California - Berkeley, California
Investment Advisor Representative
Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)