Cleveland, United States
Member since May 5, 2017
In his role as CFO, John has helped early stage companies attract and raise growth capital while executing aggressive growth strategies that have led to acquisitions by strategic buyers. As a freelance consultant, he enjoys working with a variety of clients to help them achieve next level growth, improve overall business performance, and achieve results beyond expectations.
- Managing Partner2017 - PRESENTVado Partners
Focus areas: Growth Capital Raising, Growth Strategy, Finance Strategy, Business Plan Development, Project Finance, Private Company Valuation
- Worked with clients to transform complex business challenges into focused solutions for streamlining operations, driving down costs and accelerating revenues.
- Developed, implemented, and executed business strategies that are achieving the client's vision for growth.
- Created private placement memoranda, including a financial model and a five-year strategic plan to attract growth capital for clients.
- Chief Financial Officer2013 - 2017Good! Greens
Focus areas: Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Budgeting, Strategic Finance Management, Growth Capital Raising, Working Capital Management, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
- Developed a five-year strategic plan, which included brand and product extension opportunities; identified key partners needed to establish new capabilities; and communicated measurable annual objectives to achieve the plan. The resulting 100% increase in distribution led to the eventual sale of the business.
- Implemented ERP software and engineered new business processes to provide regular reporting and key performance indicators, leading to a 50% improvement in cash flow.
- Established marketing investment reporting and an ROI analysis tool to make resource allocation decisions, which helped lead to double-digit same-store sales growth.
- Conducted COGS analysis that ultimately led to the selection and onboarding of new contract manufacturers and to a reduction in net working capital days by twenty days.
- Eliminated problem suppliers and identified, vetted, and developed supply relationships with new vendors which improved lead times by 50% and created positive cash flow.
- Chief Financial Officer2009 - 2013Ganeden Biotech, Inc.
Focus areas: Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Strategic Finance Management, Budgeting, Capital Raising, Capital Structure, Working Capital Management, Investor Communications, Private Company Valuation
- Prepared valuation analysis using publicly traded comparables, precedent transactions, and DCF; the analysis showed the OTC business was undervalued by 30% in the first round of offers, leading in part to a decision not to sell; ultimately, the buyer re-engaged and made a higher offer.
- Collaborated with VP Marketing to scrutinize spending and eliminate $3 million over the previous year. Spurred 22% revenue growth and $2 million in improvements to EBITDA.
- Administered the incoming investment of more than $25 million of external capital through several private placement offerings, working in close collaboration with the CEO, VC firms, and corporate counsel.
- Developed tools and processes for tracking and disputing customer deductions and measuring customer profitability, resulting in a 30% improvement in customer profitability.
- Performed analysis of a patent portfolio, identifying utilization gaps as well as in/out license and joint innovation opportunities, ultimately contributing to a new product launch.
- Controller2005 - 2009Ganeden Biotech, Inc.
Focus areas: Finance Systems, Financial Management, Financial Reporting, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Budgeting, Investor Decks, Investor Communications
- Managed the company’s resources through its high-growth startup phase, which required very tight cash management and proactive communication with internal and external stakeholders.
- Optimized resource management capability through process reengineering and ERP software selection/implementation, which facilitated sales growth from $4 million to $23 million; completed the project at $43,000 under budget.
- Selected and managed the implementation of EDI integration software, which successfully accommodated a doubling of transaction volume (from 2006 to 2010) while supporting a reduction in finance group staffing levels from five to three FTEs.
- Created new chart of accounts and new financial reporting, which included contribution margin reporting by business line, measurement of working capital management performance, and more detailed cash flow reporting; the cash conversion cycle was reduced by twenty days.
- Administered the company’s first physical inventory in 2005 and annual inventories ever since. Implemented efficiencies that minimized dollar variance to less than 1% while reducing inventory completion time from four days to one day.
- Master's of Business Administration (MBA) in Finance2007 - 2009John Carroll University - Cleveland, OH
- Bachelor's degree in Finance1998 - 2003University of Akron - Akron, OH