Verified Expert in Finance
John is a Wharton graduate with nearly a decade of a progressive finance career. He worked at H.I.G. Capital, one of the largest private equity firms in the world, and executed over $3 billion in transactions. John joined the Toptal network to task on challenging projects with driven operators, entrepreneurs, and investors. He previously worked with both early-stage companies nationwide and large enterprises with billions in revenue.
Opportunity Evaluation to Acquire a Telecom Service Provider
- Built the finance function, including hiring accountants, creating and operationalizing processes, preparing for audits, and enhancing reporting.
- Developed long-term strategy and planning alongside founders and explored existing strategic alternatives.
- Assisted in the company's professionalization, including updating incentive structures and partnering with divisional leaders to better align company strategy with people and operations.
Founder and Fractional CFO
- Served as the interim CFO for various businesses, including a B2B SaaS startup with around $6 million in ARR.
- Founded a software startup and raised a $2 million seed round from a venture capital fund.
- Assisted a winery in strategy and built a financial model for its pitch to private equity investors on a potential partnership.
- Supervised the add-on acquisition of a tech services company to increase $50 million of equity value and pave the way to one of the most successful exits in the fund's history.
- Recapitalized a B2C SaaS business to return nearly $100 million to various stakeholders.
- Built the junior team of six associates, including hiring, staffing, and evaluating, while developing a training program to decrease ramp time to two weeks.
Director of Finance
- Built the FP&A function from scratch to a team of three while leading a service billing team of two.
- Designed and executed the company's first long-term strategic planning and budgeting process to steer the continued transition toward greater accountability and financial stewardship.
- Supported the RFP process to select key supplier partnerships, extending net payment terms by 15 days and increasing volume rebates by several million annually.
- Supervised commercial due diligence, debt capital fundraising, and investment memo preparation for the platform buyout of a nearly $600 million revenue business.
- Built a portfolio company's corporate development framework and process, reviewing over 150 potential targets and acquiring two competitors.
- Assisted in a business services company's liquidation and bankruptcy process to manage cash flow and organize stakeholder communication, nearly returning the entire principal to the senior lender.
Master's Degree in Biomedical Engineering
University of Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, PA, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Finance
The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, PA, USA
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring