Verified Expert in Finance
Joe has 30+ years of middle-market financial services experience as an investment banker, CFO/COO, strategy consultant, public accountant, banker, and board leader. He excels with strategic planning, fractional CFO, pitch deck creation, fundraising, FP&A, M&A due diligence, and research. Joe helps businesses achieve their growth goals by integrating strategy, fractional executive services, financial planning, and capital placement services.
The Growth Advocate
- Arranged over $90 million in capital across multiple industries.
- Provided fractional CFO services for a payment processing firm. Arranged $35 million in capital. Built an accounting department from two to five.
- Launched conversion from QuickBooks to NetSuite. Successfully managed an insurance agency launch in 90 days.
- Researched and delivered a Middle East payments strategy to a Dubai royal family member for a planned new company. This resulted in receiving an offer to become a fractional chief strategy officer, which was not executed due to COVID-19.
- Managed the RFP process for a payments technology company from being a sub-iso to a direct ISO and strategic planning to support the transition.
- Supported multiple clients' use of the entrepreneurial operating system for weekly, quarterly, and annual planning.
- Worked as a registered investment banker with extensive capital markets experience, including arranging private placements, valuations, full capital stack placement, investment structuring, and deck creation.
American Estate & Trust Inc.
- Collaborated with American Estate & Trust Inc., a US-based licensed trust company.
- Wrote a white paper that discussed the rise of individuals investing in alternative assets, investing in ALTs in self-directed IRAs, and technology solutions to help facilitate making and placing ALT investments in IRAs.
- Completed research on alternative investments, self-directed IRAs, and alternative investment technology platforms.
- Completed research by interviewing investment advisers regarding their interest in providing alternative asset investment options to their clients, their support for self-directed IRAs, and their use of technology.
Managing Director - Lead Capital Placements & Sell Side
Inveniam Capital Partners
- Managed oversight of capital placements for middle-market clients, including underwriting, structuring, deck creation, and direct distribution to debt and equity providers across multiple sectors.
- Led or co-led placement activity totaling more than $350 million for middle-market company and real estate transactions in less than one year.
- Developed direct relationships with hundreds of debt and equity capital sources. The capital sources ranged from small family offices to international private equity firms and investment banks like Bain, Goldman, and Apollo.
- Developed knowledge of platforms for accessing additional capital sources and capital transaction intel, including Fintrx, a leading family office database.
- Passed Series 7 and 63 licensing exams in the first six months in the position.
- Generated over $100 million in prospect deals, establishing relationships with key executives, including CEOs and CFOs.
- Advised the firm on the creation of a template pitch deck and marketing materials.
- Managed the oversight of capital placements for commercial real estate clients, including underwriting, structuring, deck creation, and direct distribution to debt and equity providers in the multifamily, office, and hospitality sectors.
Executive Vice President, COO and CFO
- Repositioned the business for growth by identifying payment sector trends toward integrated solutions and led the transition from a commodity business to a fintech firm that provided integrated payments solutions and Software as a Service offering.
- Implemented Entrepreneurial Operating System. This effort restructured the company's planning, management, and structures to support growth plans. Created the first formal strategic plan, formalization of company vision, proven processes, and values.
- Created a complete M&A process for the payments industry that included a proprietary quality of earnings, risk procedures, custom historical data analysis templates, and a proprietary discounted cash flow model specific to the payments industry.
- Created a custom pitch deck for marketing to acquisition prospects, receiving critical acclaim for the presentation and process from industry experts. Reviewed six acquisitions, completed two and had one in process.
- Led the company’s first search for senior, mezzanine, and equity capital, developing relationships, creating the presentation, and driving the financial modeling effort. Identified and delivered presentations to 35+ capital providers in two months.
- Managed the finance and accounting function, maintaining responsibility for the oversight of a four-person team, the P&L, all budgeting and planning, the management of outside auditors, as well as banking and capital management.
- Overhauled primary finance functions and vendor relations, including budgeting, financial planning, and reporting; negotiation of material improvements in bank lending rates and structure.
- Oversaw rebuilding and re-positioning the information technology team from an internal systems team to a core part of the revenue model to support the conversion to an integrated payments solution company.
- Planned, presented, negotiated, and managed a major strategic partnership with Mastercard that resulted in significant financial, marketing, and strategic benefits to the firm.
- Assisted in negotiating significant strategic partnerships with the Detroit Lions, Rock Processing, and community bank referral programs.
Your Advocate LLC
- Underwrote personally and valued over $7 Billion in commercial loans, representing over 4,000 commercial loans from 70 banks across the US.
- Worked on capital placements for small and middle-market businesses.
- Consulted for loan restructuring and special assets monitoring.
Vice President - Middle Market Commercial Lender
Various Commercial Banks
- Originated more than $100 million in middle-market loans.
- Managed commercial loan portfolios for 30 borrowers and over $100 million in assets.
- Originated commercial revolving lines, asset-based lines, term loans, real estate loans, trade letters of credit, and standby letters of credit supporting industrial development revenue bonds.
- Worked with and provided loans to a range of industries including automotive design, manufacturing, and services, airlines, wholesale clothing, wholesale industrial, wholesale automotive, building supplies, construction.
- Managed distressed and non-performing asset relationships, eliminating any bank losses.
Senior Assistant Auditor
- Assigned increasing financial audit experience with critical assignments such as General Motors, Michigan National Bank, and Henry Ford Health Systems.
- Applied standard and analytical review audit procedures.
Business Strategy Course in Business Strategy
Harvard Business School - Boston, MA
Advanced Fintech Online Course in Fintech
Harvard University - Boston, MA
Advanced Business Strategy Course in Business Strategy
Harvard Business School - Boston, MA
Master's Degree in Financial Economics
University of Detroit Mercy - Detroit, MI
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration and Accounting
Wayne State University - Detroit, Michigan
Series 24 - Principals Exam
Series 79 Investment Banking
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring