Denver, CO, United States
Member since August 25, 2016
Josh is an investment banker turned VC who lives in Denver, CO. At Morgan Stanley, he covered the world's top hedge funds and sold over $5 billion in IPOs for companies like Alibaba, LendingClub, GrubHub, and more. He also has experience in M&A, startup fundraising, and launching three companies of his own. Currently, Josh is one of the managing partners of Konvoy Ventures, a VC firm focused on esports & video gaming.
- Co-Founder & Managing Partner2017 - PRESENTKonvoy Ventures (VC Firm)
Focus areas: eSports Investing, Early-stage Venture Capital, Angel/Seed Funding, Video Gaming, Media , Seed Fundraising
- Founded Konvoy Ventures.
- Raised capital from family offices & HNW.
- Vetted investments & wrote investment memos.
- Spoke at conferences around the country.
- Managed budget, headcount, equity cap table, and more.
- Institutional Equity Sales2014 - 2016Morgan Stanley
Focus areas: Capitals Markets, Equity Research, Business Review Presentations, Emerging Markets, Geopolitics, Investments, Relationship Management, Financial Modeling & Valuation, Business Plan & Model Development
- Leveraged Morgan Stanley equity research, technical indicators, trading activity, investor trends, and reputable colleagues to generate transaction-oriented trade ideas that created alpha for our 200+ institutional clients.
- Sold IPOs, follow-on offerings, and block trades to institutional asset managers, such as Alibaba, Rocket Internet, and Emaar Malls Group, Naspers.
- Pitched, discussed, and monetized Morgan Stanley's content and platform for equity research.
- Developed and wrote content for client distribution, including market commentary, investor positioning, global events analyses, and political risk assessments.
- Created quarterly presentations on the desk’s performance for senior management.
- Contributed to other ad hoc projects, such as Global Best Ideas and the weekly “Global Reflections” note that is distributed to over 50,000 institutional clients each week.
- Utilized the experience in the energy sector that I gained after getting a geology degree in college, interning at an upstream oil & gas company in Houston (NYSE: CXPO), and spending a considerable amount of time following the sector while at Morgan Stanley.
- Built my own technical and fundamental models that were linked with Bloomberg formulas in order to live-update whenever refreshed. This automated my investment & market analysis process which I leveraged across my client base (top hedge funds & asset managers in the world). I can build fully functioning financial models that have formula plug-ins to outside data sources.
- Investment Banking Analyst2013 - 2013INTL FC Stone
Focus areas: Investment Banking, Emerging Markets, Pitch Decks, Mergers and Acquisitions, Financial Modeling & Valuation
- Executed M&A (Mergers & Acquisitions) advisory for middle market companies in the mining, agriculture, and energy sectors.
- Prepared deal committee memoranda and pitchbooks to describe industry trends and companies’ fundamentals.
- Completed Capital IQ screens for comparable companies and precedent transactions analyses.
- Built financials models for middle market deals.
- Investment Platform2012 - 2013BlackRock
Focus areas: Technology, Product Development, Operational Efficiency Improvement, Investments, Trading Platforms
- Supported Aladdin, BlackRock’s proprietary investment platform, by offering operational support for internal portfolio managers and traders.
- Created and automated custom reports for firm clients focused on position analysis, evaluating risk exposure and identifying derivative contract discrepancies and unsettled trades from the previous day.
- Joined a special working group focused on developing a new internal trading platform.
- Business Plan Consultants: Who They Are And How they Create Value (Publication)https://www.toptal.com/finance/business-plan-consultants/how-great-business-plan-consultants-create-valueDue in part to the unceremonial nature of its title, the value-creation potential of business plan consultants is often misunderstood and underappreciated. Questions such as, "What do they do that I can’t?", "Why do they cost so much?” and, "Don’t you think we can handle this ourselves?", all too often haunt their practice. Having prolifically added value to 25+ clients across a range of industries, sizes, and mandates, Toptal Finance Expert, Josh Chapman, sheds light on the full scope of business plan consulting. What it is to be a great business plan consultant, how they create value, and what skills, attributes and experiences constitute the greats vs. the pretenders.
- Esports: A Guide to Competitive Video Gaming (Publication)While the complex esports industry may be daunting for investors, it is growing exponentially and has already amassed a large, global audience.
- The Importance of Customer Retention — An Empirical Study (Publication)https://www.toptal.com/finance/venture-capital-consultants/the-importance-of-customer-retention-an-empirical-studyStartups nowadays are hyper focused on growth at all costs, a practice which often undermines the fundamental health of the business. This article takes an in-depth look at the importance of focusing on customer retention from day one and the practical benefits it can provide in the medium to long term.
- Series 7 & 63 licenses in Finance (General Securities Representative & Uniform Securities Agent)2014 - 2016FINRA - New York, NYC, USA
- Level 1 - Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst in Alternative Investments2013 - 2013Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst - New York City, NY, USA
- Bachelor's degree in Business/Economics and Geology (Minor)2008 - 2012Wheaton College - Chicago, IL, USA