Founder | CEO
2011 - PRESENT
Palomar Capital Management, LLC | The Palomar Group, LLC
- Performed a detailed investment analysis consisting of financial modeling (including leveraged buyout models), detailed financial and accounting analysis, industry research, company research, acquisition analysis, valuation analysis, and investment thesis development on over 50 private companies.
- Drafted and submitted letters of intent for the acquisition of over 50 private companies.
- Drafted investment memos on over 10 private companies and built multiple detailed, bottoms-up operating models.
- Identified and evaluated potential cost savings and cost synergies opportunities for many private companies while also conducting merger and acquisition analysis.
- Raised debt and equity financing to fund the acquisition of 7 private companies.
- Managed the transaction negotiation and structuring in the acquisitions of private companies (senior bank debt, mezzanine debt, preferred equity, and common equity).
- Developed strategic plans for 3 of the companies that were acquired.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Financial Modeling, Financial Statement Analysis, Financial Accounting, Private Equity, Investment Memoranda, Investment Thesis, Investment Summaries, Strategic Finance Management, Budgeting, Mezzanine, Equity Financing, Debt, Bank Debt Raises, Pitch Deck Financials, Financial Reporting, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Transaction Structuring, Finance Structures, Capital Structuring, Valuation, Valuation Multiples, Valuation Modeling, Equity Valuation, Private Company Valuation
2015 - 2015
- Performed financial accounting due diligence for 10+ client engagements with an associate and/or manager reporting directly to me on all engagements.
- Built financial models to analyze financial statements.
- Created presentations as deliverables for clients to share with potential capital partners.
- Evaluated accounting policies and procedures.
- Performed quality-of-earnings analyses.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Financial Accounting
M&A/Private Equity Consultant
2009 - 2011
- Made 10,000+ cold calls directly to business owners in an effort to source proprietary acquisition and investment opportunities.
- Drafted private placement memorandum for an emerging private equity fund manager.
- Created investment presentations on potential acquisition opportunities and presented them to the investment committee.
- Built dozens of leveraged buyout models and pro forma financial projection models.
- Led the recruiting, interviewing, and onboarding processes for new hires; interviewed over 300 candidates, ultimately hiring 6.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Private Equity, Deal Origination, Deal Sourcing, Financial Statement Analysis, Pro Forma Financial Statements, Leveraged Buyouts, Financial Modeling, Transaction Structuring, Private Company Valuation, Valuation Modeling, Industry Analysis, Investment Memoranda
Private Equity Associate
2007 - 2009
ING Investment Management | Pomona Capital
- Led the analysis, execution, and closing process for the acquisition of 5 private equity secondary portfolios consisting of both direct interests and limited partnership interests.
- Initiated and co-led a continuous effort to improve the analytical capabilities and processes within multiple areas of the firm, resulting in significantly improved productivity, analysis, and accuracy on deals.
- Co-authored a white paper on the risks and returns based on a detailed portfolio analysis; led to an improved internal understanding of the risk and return characteristics of secondary transactions.
- Screened investment opportunities, built financial models, performed due diligence, drafted investment memos, presented to the investment committee, and reviewed and executed closing documents.
- Performed high-level investment analyses on ~500 equity and debt investment opportunities in a variety of industries using fundamental, bottoms-up analysis.
Focus areas: Investment Thesis, Investment Memoranda, Investment Summaries, Return Analysis, Fund Analysis, Financial Modeling, Valuation, Valuation Multiples, Valuation Modeling, Private Company Valuation, Equity Valuation, Structuring of Funds, Transaction Modeling, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Private Equity Secondaries, Private Equity
Transaction Services Senior Associate
2004 - 2007
- Performed a valuation analysis by preparing customized, complex financial models including DCF's, waterfall distribution models, contingent claims analyses and financial instrument models.
- Advised private equity firms and Fortune 500 clients on structuring and accounting issues related to mergers and acquisitions, leveraged buyouts, recapitalizations, derivatives, financial instruments, securitizations, lease financings, and joint ventures.
- Analyzed accounting policies and procedures, researched appropriate accounting guidelines, and drafted accounting memos, documenting our position on the relevant issues.
- Performed and reviewed valuations of 55 private equity portfolio companies and 22 strategic acquisitions using DCF's, market comparables, and transaction comparables.
- Played a prominent internal role in the team that advised Fortress Investment Group on its IPO in 2006, which was the first private equity firm/hedge fund that took its management company public.
- Actively participated in the development of the "derivatives and financial instruments" business by teaching colleagues, recruiting talented personnel, creating training materials, and attending classes to improve my knowledge.
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Financial Accounting, Transaction Structuring, Capital Structuring, Derivative Accounting, Equity Valuation, Valuation, Valuation Multiples, Valuation Modeling, Private Company Valuation, Capital Structure Analysis, Accounting Consolidation